SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

*This forum is for the uploading and sharing of, as the forum description states, soundtracks in non-SPC formats from games that cannot be dumped to SPC.

*If you've uploaded the music elsewhere, such as MediaFire, RapidShare, MegaUpload, or another filesharing site, you can just make a post and link to it. This actually saves us some bandwidth.

*MP3 is the preferred format, ideally at, at the very least, 128kbps, but we'll also accept OGG. We don't have unlimited bandwidth here, so we can't accept lossless formats such as FLAC or WAV.

*If a game can be dumped to SPC, do not upload its soundtrack here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Music Tank
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Tropicon wrote:
I can't read Japanese but I have fumbled my way through almost every JRPG on the SNES. Some twice. What are the games?

There are quite a few. Browse through the "Help Wanted!" section of the forum, and see if anything interests you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:05 pm 

Yay, Gon! I'll do that one right now. I can't find a rom for Sidmania, do you guys even want this one?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:27 am 

Tropicon wrote:
Yay, Gon! I'll do that one right now. I can't find a rom for Sidmania, do you guys even want this one?

It's probably not that necessary, I've already listed all the actual SID files that it contains and pretty much every standalone SID player has vastly better sounding playback than sidmania does

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:06 am 

Great, I'll take it off the list. Out of This World will probably be next but I still can't get the codes to work so I'll to have to play through the game and grab as I go.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:50 pm 

Added Pitfall to the tank. I forgot I ripped this one a while ago so I spent the last couple of days polishing it and here it is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:41 pm 

Out of This World is up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:34 am 

For Clay Fighter it says "Intros only". What exactly does that mean?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Tropicon wrote:
For Clay Fighter it says "Intros only". What exactly does that mean?

I think it means that the intro song has vocals, which can't be ripped to SPC. Not otherwise entirely sure, since the songs themselves seemed perfectly rippable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:35 am 

I'll clarify:

Clay Fighter has an opening song that can technically be ripped (it's the Title Screen theme song). However, the vocals are missing from the song because the samples are streamed directly from the ROM to the SPC700. The .spc files without the vocals are split into three parts, and all three are non-looping probably for synchronization reasons with the SNES.

The biggest worry with trying to pull this off is in regards to the samples: if they're too big to fit all of them in there at once, then right off the bat, it's an instant disqualification for being dumpable in .spc format (Lion King was very lucky... the samples were being swapped rather than streamed, but I overwrote some of the SFX samples so that I could get them all in there at once. I also debugged a pitch problem by determining that the BRR samples had some extra data beforehand that needed to be copied).

Actually, I have a theory on why Clayfighter 2, Mickey's Playtown Adventure and We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story, etc. are so problematic with SNESAmp (they have a problem that causes all channels to eventually mute):

The Visual Concepts sound driver has two methods to free up a channel: key it off, or wait for the sample to completely stop playing (which for me probably means read from ENDX to determine which samples have called the last BRR block in a sample, looping or non-looping). I'm going to theoretically say that there's a key off command that the Visual Concepts driver uses, since not all games rely on this particular command. All three games that I have mentioned were either composed by Russell Lieblich or Ken Allen (Clayfighter 2 only so far). This is a problem that has been known for almost as long as I have been on here.

Something goes wrong with how ENDX is handled in SNESAmp that results in the channels never being allocated in the first place. Either ENDX is never modified in SNESAmp (really bad idea), or maybe the implementation is incomplete on how ENDX is updated.

The other one is Shin Togenkyo. My theory is that SNESAmp fails to handle some sort of a wrap-around properly, whether it be with memory or any of the registers, because it also fails on my SPC player Game Music Box. My theory is in regards to the memory pointer, which is 16 bits and may accidentally be treated as more than 16 bits... or failure to wrap around on any of the other registers to zero.

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:50 pm 

Interesting. Well I can just rip the title. By the way, Clay Fighter: worst SNES vocals ever.
Speaking of titles, Furby do you have a game freeze code for Down the World? The intro song I have in the tank is actually something I made in Audacity. I cut up what parts of the song I could record before it stops and switches to the title. If I could get it to run longer I could record it properly. It may actually sound different then what I've got.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next