SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

*This forum is for the uploading and sharing of, as the forum description states, soundtracks in non-SPC formats from games that cannot be dumped to SPC.

*If you've uploaded the music elsewhere, such as MediaFire, RapidShare, MegaUpload, or another filesharing site, you can just make a post and link to it. This actually saves us some bandwidth.

*MP3 is the preferred format, ideally at, at the very least, 128kbps, but we'll also accept OGG. We don't have unlimited bandwidth here, so we can't accept lossless formats such as FLAC or WAV.

*If a game can be dumped to SPC, do not upload its soundtrack here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Music Tank
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:09 pm 

I don't. Even if I did, this one might backfire because the samples may be swapped in real time, and that piece of code may not execute.

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:28 pm 

Hi I just joined to thank you guys for making the soundtracks for Paperboy 2 and Crash Dummies available, have been looking for proper high quality versions for a long time.

Unfortunetely though, the Paperboy 2 one sounds wrong, at least for the main level theme but possibly for the bonus level thing too, I haven't fully checked them yet. Best way I can describe it is that the 11th note of the main melody seems to hold far longer than it should, and this seems to happen throughout the track whenever this note/sound is repeated. Check youtube SNES gameplay videos to see better what I mean. This is the only problem I have noticed so far but it's possible there may be other irregularities too.

Is it possible these errors could be fixed please? Would really appreciate it as this game has left a hole in many people's soundtrack collections for a while due to it not being able to be ripped to SPC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:10 pm 

Got a time marker for when they sound incorrect (at least to your ears)?

The main problem I see lies in the fact that the gameplay videos have SFX mixed in with the music. The rips all have no SFX playing, meaning all of the notes can play at their full length.

Actually, the real culprint is that Clayfighter Intro song (which streams the vocal samples). That one definitely sounds incorrect, and I go get a cleaner rip of that one.

On the other notes...

GreatWaldoSearch06_02.mp3 is the Failure theme.

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:34 am 

Thanks for the response. The error note occurs at 6.9 seconds in Tropicon's mp3, and repeats again whenever this specific note is played in the song (15.0 seconds is the next occurrence in Tropicon's mp3, then 23.1 seconds, etc). It just holds for too long.

Here are a couple of gameplay videos from youtube, I've time-linked them to roughly where the first instance of the note plays but you can continue through the videos to hear the note re-occurring plenty of times. The shorter length of the note is not caused by overlapping sound effects because there are plenty of instances in these videos where the note occurs and there are no sound effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLrcbgiqqTk&t=31s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuyBt7544GY&t=16s

Also FYI my observation of this error is not just based on seeing the game running on emulators, as I had this game on my real SNES and can clearly remember the soundtrack. Again I would appreciate if there is anything you or Tropicon can do to get a correct sounding clean rip of this soundtrack out there for the community.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:03 am 

Ah ha! You're right! :D Now I hear the difference. I actually have a real copy of this particular game myself.

You know something? The correct version exists on YouTube (both of them are in one video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC8nllRy1YY

If I think of it, I'll consider re-recording some of these tracks. I've got the temptation to do so.

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:08 pm 

KungFuFurby wrote:
Ah ha! You're right! :D Now I hear the difference. I actually have a real copy of this particular game myself.

You know something? The correct version exists on YouTube (both of them are in one video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC8nllRy1YY

If I think of it, I'll consider re-recording some of these tracks. I've got the temptation to do so.

That would be great if you could help get a clean high-quality pack into the community. The Paperboy 2 SNES soundtrack has long been a hole in my collection as I'm sure is the case for many other soundtrack collectors.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:02 am 

Just now getting around to this. I can't fix these errors since my MP3s are recordings not rips. In fact all my MP3s are recordings. I can only record what the game gives me.
I can rename the Waldo track though.
Furby if you can fix these just post them somewhere and I'll put them in the sound tank.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:40 am 

Tropicon wrote:
Just now getting around to this. I can't fix these errors since my MP3s are recordings not rips. In fact all my MP3s are recordings. I can only record what the game gives me.
I can rename the Waldo track though.
Furby if you can fix these just post them somewhere and I'll put them in the sound tank.

Thanks for the reply, so do we know exactly what the problem is with Paperboy 2? I'm guessing you're using some kind of memory trigger hack to record these without SFX, but if that is the case I don't really understand why that would cause the error note I described

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:21 am 

I used Furby's codes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:15 am 

Here's another thought... what emulator was used to record the music? My wild guess is ZSNES, which might explain the vocals on Clay Fighter's Introduction song.

The Clay Fighter Introduction song was by far the one that stuck out the most for me, so I personally re-recorded the song.

https://app.box.com/s/ebgvae5ykfe4zhx66u8x0gfqu7b8i5xk

Way back in 2007-2008, I actually started attempting to record some of these soundtracks. The Ren and Stimpy - Veediots soundtrack? They're my earliest surviving rip that I can think of.

I mostly hit the breaks on recording because I record WAV masters, then convert to MP3. The WAV masters can add up quickly to gigabytes in bulk (although video files are even worse). Doesn't mean I can start doing them again to do re-rips, but these days I usually listen to the music from the comforts of the emulator.

This is because on the G5, I ultimately stopped these practices in part because I realized how many gigabytes were being used up by a combination of my video production (raw footage especially), WAV masters from my music and WAV masters of whatever other music I decided to export were taking up, which went up into the gigabytes. My hard drive only has so much capacity, and I was approaching that ceiling.

It's also why my fandom for SNES music (and creating SNES games) remains: they're cheap for me to produce and distribute memory-wise.

SPC Set Progress Log

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next