SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

* This subforum is simply for the uploading of SPCs or SPC sets from ROM hacks/trainers/cracktros. Whether they're properly timed/tagged or not is largely unimportant, as many will not be released on the site.

* You may upload full SPC sets in .rsn, .zip, .rar, or .7z format. Do not upload each SPC individually.

* Do not upload anything that is not SPC-related, or it will be deleted. We are not handling MP3s, PSFs, USFs, GSFs, or any other format at this time.

Post subject: Spike Mix
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:23 pm 

Discovered this when trying to hunt down other ROMs using the sound driver found on the Arcadia ROM trainer...specifically, "PT-Player v1.5". Only contains music, no graphics. Don't know who did the sound driver.

This is the second time Vision's Spike Mix has been ported: the first time is in Modular Escape, and the results are clearly different.

Not bothering with tagging this go round.

Attachments:
Spike Mix.spc [64.5 KiB]
Downloaded 240 times

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log
 Post subject: Re: Spike Mix
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:07 pm 

I actually found out that this was a second version of the track as well, last night while putting together some known signatures of SNES sound drivers:
https://gist.github.com/devinacker/ae03260ad697f8926507
(This is for use with sidid, and is how I unexpectedly found the Anthrox/Argonaut connection that I posted about on nesdev).

PT-Player definitely sounds better than the Ballistics player. It was also used in the "Falling Leaves" demo to play a module by Martin Iveson (aka Nuke/Spaceman).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:06 am 

Guess what? That info means I get to determine the sound driver's author. In this case, the sound driver was programmed by Blaster/SPB (he is credited for "SPC700-Slave").

That nets temporary composer info for that Arcadia trainer based off of a shared sound driver, unless you know what song is used there.

Oh... and Opus/sndmngr is not an actual SPC700 sound driver. It's actually DBOOT. sngmngr is simply a SNES-side method for handling DBOOT.

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:30 am 

I see. I guess I can try to update my signatures for that one, then. I'm trying to make ones that will identify both SPC dumps as well as entire ROMs where the driver may or may not be compressed; I may have to also revise some of the signatures that just use ASCII strings (like Bitmasters) to make sure they'll also match SPC dumps.

I know you're probably more familiar than I am with some drivers, so feel free to pitch in some code/text signatures if you know any. I added the Hülsbeck and Sculptured Software ones after originally posting the link.

I also need to add Nintendo's N-SPC driver, of course. That's one with several known variations that I'd like to try to cover all of, if possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:09 pm 

Try using SPC files instead of analyzing the ROM. This sometimes doesn't work as well as you think (I know of some games where the code gets fooled around with), though.

Hey, perhaps this page could use your magic (it also makes for a nice place to get signatures): http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php ... river_List

The SLICK sound driver from Bitmasters does appear in the SPC700 itself. Thus, it qualifies.

David Warhol's sound driver is a mixed bag. The text in this file appears to at least be partially uploaded, but it does appear to get overwritten.

DBOOT doesn't appear in the SPC file. However, I know very well it refers directly to the same sound driver, and usually it's very easy for me to catch on thanks to the programming methodology for calling the sound routines that interact with the SPC700. Opus's sndmnger also handles sound code, but it's an even higher layer than DBOOT.

EndSoundCode, from David Whittaker, sometimes appears in the SPC700. Even when it doesn't, typically the code can reveal that. Exceptions are Shaq Fu and Michael Jordan: Chaos In The Windy City (Alfred Chicken and B.O.B. do not qualify: Alfred Chicken uses a Sculptured Software sound driver and B.O.B. appears to use N-SPC): I confirmed these by looking up the music format, which I had reverse-engineered mainly from the beta version of Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday.

Here, try these games (these represent a sample size for the David Whittaker sound driver, including those two tricky ones... and I personally sorted them by version):
(Version 1)
- Kick Off
- Krusty's Super Fun House

(Version 2)
- Apocalypse II
- Batman: Revenge of the Joker
- Battle Cars (no signature)
- Dream TV
- Gods (no signature)
- Kick Off 3 (beta)
- Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday (beta)
- World Class Rugby (no signature)
- Super SWIV/Firepower 2000
- Riddick Bowe Boxing (signature is mostly cut off)

(Version 3)
- Shaq Fu (no signature; uses a jump array instead)

(Version 4)
- Michael Jordan Chaos in the Windy City (no signature; also uses a jump array; sound driver commands are incompatible, with a smaller range of 01-0C rather than usually 01-23 if they're not omitted)

And here are some Bits Studios games for more signature practice (these will test your ability to deal with potentially changing memory locations)... I've sorted these by two different varieties, depending on whether or not they swap out the pattern data for the songs:
(Bankswitched version)
- Genocide 2
- Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
- No Escape
- The Itchy & Scratchy Game
- Wolverine: Adamantium Rage

(Non-bankswitched version)
- Last Action Hero
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:02 pm 

All of my signatures that aren't just plain-text strings were taken straight from SPC RAM (using my own debugger to easily distinguish between code and data and insert wildcards for addresses etc. where appropriate). I know not all of the text signatures make it into SPCs which is why I wanted additional signatures to be able to identify actual SPC dumps as well.

I'll take a look at that GDRI page and your info later and work on updating the file.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:38 pm 

KungFuFurby wrote:
That nets temporary composer info for that Arcadia trainer based off of a shared sound driver, unless you know what song is used there.

If you happen to have a massive collection of Protracker modules (one that I don't feel compelled to leech from Modland), do a search for these bytes (it's the pattern table):

27 ?? 00 00 04 02 01 01 01 01 03 03 05 06 07 08 08 09 0A 01 01 01 01 03 03 05 06 07 00 00 04 02 01 01 01 01 03 03 05 06 0B 07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:44 pm 

Ok, found the Arcadia intro music after searching through myself.

"Opener Than Usual" - Stéphane Anouari (Oxbow)

And for the sake of the thread:

"Spike Mix 1989"
AMP lists two different authors for this one and I'm not sure which one is correct:
MC Prime Time
Claus Larsen (Spike)

I've always (until searching for it on AMP just now) seen it credited to the former, though.

Also, I started posting about the work on sound driver signatures into the Miscellaneous forum instead.