SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

* This subforum is simply for the uploading of updated SPC sets. New SPC sets should go in the "Site Submissions" subforum, and conversations should be kept to other subforums, unless they directly relate to a submission.

* You may upload full SPC sets in .rsn, .zip, .rar, or .7z format. You may also upload individual SPCs if that's it's only one or two tracks that were modified, or if you are submitting new tracks. If you upload the entire set, leave a note in the info.txt file regarding what was changed.

* Do not upload anything that is not SPC-related, or it will be deleted. We are not handling MP3s, PSFs, USFs, GSFs, or any other format at this time.

Note: If a submission thread is locked, it means it has been accepted, prepped, and will appear on the site during the next update.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:48 pm 

Another new track!? This track was detected by Revenant one day as using a different sound driver than what the game normally uses... in an RNC compressed file, to boot! It was completely unused, and it had built-in compressed code to run inside of RAM (which I ultimately circumnavigated, mainly because the file format was a piece of cake for me to transfer over).

I actually created the SPC file using a relatively clean slate after decompressing the RNC file and freezing it (and decompressing the freeze file). I then simply ripped off the SPC700 data, and the file runs like a charm.

Guessing the composer for this well-hidden piece of music is Che-Riad Lalic (AKA Alfatech).

Attachments:
File comment: New track.
NBA Hangtime Alfatech.spc [64.52 KiB]
Downloaded 128 times

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:15 pm 

Very cool! I knew the driver was there but wasn't expecting to find something other than one of the other two SNES songs of his that I knew about.

Given that one of Alfatech's other SNES songs and three of his C64 songs cover Martin Galway, I'm not at all surprised that this sounds very Galway-esque too (but if this one's actually a cover, I can't place it, and I feel a bit ashamed for not knowing the answer...) But he does compose his own songs too, so this could well be one of them.

I don't suppose the code that decompresses the driver/music is still called from anywhere, is it? I'm very curious as to whether or not there's something that actually uses the music.

Also, on that note, the rest of the game's tracks should probably be updated to credit Jeroen Tel, who adapted the original arcade version's soundtrack to the SNES.

edit: also, part of me wants to "fix" Alfatech's driver to reduce the volume level because good lord. I attached a version with the master volume reduced by about 3/4, it's definitely more listenable this way

Attachments:
alfatech-nba.spc [64.5 KiB]
Downloaded 103 times
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:59 pm 

There's certainly code to decompress those RNC files, because they're used for image files. However, there is absolutely no pointer to the RNC file that contains this code.

I currently have no PAR codes to access the music because first I have to locate and block a routine to ensure that the default sound driver will never load.

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log