SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

* This subforum is simply for the uploading of updated SPC sets. New SPC sets should go in the "Site Submissions" subforum, and conversations should be kept to other subforums, unless they directly relate to a submission.

* You may upload full SPC sets in .rsn, .zip, .rar, or .7z format. You may also upload individual SPCs if that's it's only one or two tracks that were modified, or if you are submitting new tracks. If you upload the entire set, leave a note in the info.txt file regarding what was changed.

* Do not upload anything that is not SPC-related, or it will be deleted. We are not handling MP3s, PSFs, USFs, GSFs, or any other format at this time.

Note: If a submission thread is locked, it means it has been accepted, prepped, and will appear on the site during the next update.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Lion King
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:51 pm 

Four redumps. All four tracks used sample swapping.

I have successfully produced a perfect (or at least reasonably acceptable) copy of these four by doing some data implanting from late dumps with the swapped out samples (and data relocation if needed). I did have to overwrite some data in at least one of them, but I made sure I was only overwriting sample data reserved for sound effects. I did that by simply playing the samples as substitutions for a different sample.

I also determined that the sound driver isn't exactly special either, as it happens to be a Bitmasters sound driver. I still praise the programmers for the impressive tricks... and that sound driver actually gave me a bit of a run for my money. Turns out there are 24h bytes before the sample actually begins that I have to copy, or else the pitch will be off. Strange. That was the main problem that I identified with the original dump: a failure to account for the pitch. The exception is Hoo Hah, which to my ears got it right.

The song Can't Wait to be King! seems to have a bug that accidentally omits the tom sample. My method of data implant involved checking 7E0AABxx, which was like a counter that tracked the number of samples loaded, then performing a dump once that particular sample loaded. It reset to zero once the song started again. I did one dump per sample loaded, and it turned out that what I was listening to sounded slightly incorrect due to an incorrect sample. I'm not completely sure if this occurs on real hardware, but if it does, then that's quite an oversight.

Hoo Hah also appears to use sample swapping, but I determined that the dump already on the SPC set was good. There is a track that is not on the sound test: I was able to determine that it did not use sample swapping, saving me a potentially troublesome analysis (especially when this one is used in-game). There were two others that I found, but I determined these were probably duplicates (and each one had a rather minimalistic initial loading of the sample pack): they sounded like Hoo Hah and King of Pride Rock.

Attachments:
File comment: Redump.
King of Pride Rock.spc [64.5 KiB]
Downloaded 205 times
Under The Stars.spc [64.5 KiB]
Downloaded 201 times
Can't Wait to be King!.spc [64.5 KiB]
Downloaded 192 times
Be Prepared.spc [64.5 KiB]
Downloaded 208 times

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]