SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

* This subforum is simply for the uploading of files that relate to SPCs in any way. Missing title screens, applications related to the format (timers, taggers, etc.), and similar things. Do not upload SPCs here.

* Do not upload anything that is not SPC-related, or it will be deleted. We are not handling MP3s, PSFs, USFs, GSFs, or any other format at this time.

* As always, do not upload anything violating American copyright laws. We do not wish to deal with the backlash.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:13 am 

Moving this out of the thread in Hacks & Cracks since it was a bit off topic.

I'm making signatures for sidid to make it detect SNES music drivers instead of C64 ones.

Current signatures + tool
Current results (first match only)
Current results (all matches possible).

This is a work in progress, partially based on this GDRI article with several other ones that aren't listed on there.

So far almost everything above the "?" section in that article can be reliably detected in both ROMs and SPC dumps alike. (I'll get to the rest when I have time...)

Some stuff:

There are a little less than 50 ROMs that have N-SPC or Opus ROM text but don't seem to have the actual sound driver, which means the definitions are unfinished, the text comes from leftover EPROM garbage or maybe both.

There are a couple of beta/prototype ROMs where intro music (SID-SPC / Elitendo) is still floating around. I shuffled those definitions to the end of the list so they won't show up as readily once the "real" drivers are detected.

NBA Hang Time is detected as both having the Bitmasters driver and Alfatech's driver. I don't know which one it normally uses, but given that Alfatech was one of the programmers of the game I suspect there might be something fun hidden (for me to find later when it's not 3:15 AM).

KFF, if you (or anyone else) have any known byte sequences that can be added (for drivers I haven't gotten to yet, or to improve detection of ones that I have) feel free to pitch in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:34 pm 

Please rename Opus to DBOOT (DBOOT is much more common than Opus).

Alfatech's sound driver does appear to exist in NBA Hangtime, but the file is RNC compressed, and it appears to never be called. It comes complete with 65816 code to execute in RAM... and the end result of your detection is me extracting a brand new track! :D

Try getting some additional N-SPC related signatures from this page...
http://wiki.superfamicom.org/snes/show/ ... 28N-SPC%29

I will also add John Madden Football to the mix, which I'm sure uses some sort of N-SPC variant.

Manchester United Championship Soccer (Beta) mistakenly has an (unused) intro still stuck inside it, which is why SID-SPC was detected.

Araiguma Rascal has two detected by mistake? My official vote is for DBOOT, although sometimes multiple sound drivers really do get used, and perhaps N-SPC was briefly used.

Bakuto Dochers, to my shock, uses both sound drivers. DBOOT is used at the BPS logo, then it switches to Takane Ohkubo's sound driver for the rest of the game.

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is also disqualified. This should instead have the Bits Studios sound driver.

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:19 pm 

I'll change Opus to "Opus/DBOOT" since I'm at least pretty sure Opus is the company that actually developed it.

I'm also working on better N-SPC detection (one more signature gets several more results, but there are still a few known ones missing).

These are the latest drivers I added yesterday (haven't added to github yet until I added a few more):

Beam Software
Bits Studios
Capcom (3 versions)
David Whittaker (currently about half-working; the evolution of this one seems pretty complicated)
Norihiko Togashi (used in Bonkers)
OeRSTED (used in Final Fight 3, interestingly)
Unknown 1 (the Copya System/Office Koukan driver)

I want to add a couple more that I'm aware of (and try to finish/improve Whittaker's) before I update the signature list again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:10 pm 

Ok, posted another update. Didn't get around to finishing Whittaker's, but I added some more obscure ones as well.

The ratio of matches/unknown ROMs out of the entire No-Intro set (and then some) is now nearly 50/50.

Added:
Atelier Double
Beam Software
Bits Studios
C-Lab
Capcom
Cube
David Whittaker (unfinished)
Malibu
Michel Winogradoff
Mint
Norihiko Togashi
Unknown 1 (Copya System / Office Koukan)

Updated:
Bitmasters/SLICK
Nintendo/N-SPC
SDCSIL

The N-SPC signatures still need some work as well; not all games that I know use it are detected, some have matching text but not matching code; all of the ones that match the C-Lab signature also match a N-SPC signature and a couple of the C-Lab games (4-nin Shougi, Sailor Moon S - Kurukkurin) show up on the N-SPC list on superfamicom.org. So I'm not sure if the C-Lab driver should be considered a N-SPC variant or not. (I haven't actually investigated it in much depth; only enough to corroborate the info about C-Lab on GDRI).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:57 pm 

You sure about the Cube sound driver you listed? I thought these games were Cube sound drivers, and they're definitely not the ones you identified (unless this is a second version of the Cube sound driver that dynamically loads samples...)...

- American Oudan Ultra Quiz
- Heiwa Pachinko World 2
- Heiwa Pachinko World 3
- Sgt. Saunder's Combat
- Super Hanafuda
- Super Hanafuda 2
- Wizap!

I'd get signatures from these games.

These games might go together due to their dynamic sample loading (specifically, they load only the samples to start the music, then they load the rest while the music plays)... or I might be off on my identification. Two of these have sample streaming features.
- Dark Kingdom
- Star Ocean
- Tales of Phantasia
- Zan III Spirits

I also thought Legend had a Carlo Perconti sound engine as well.

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:30 pm 

My assessment of the Cube sound driver was based on the Bits Laboratory article on GDRI, which credits Cube for the sound driver in Chou Aniki. It's possible that the games you listed might use another Cube driver (or a variation of the same one), so I'll check it out.

I ended up modifying my N-SPC signatures so that any ROM with the "*Ver Sx.xx*" text is considered a "true" N-SPC match, though I did also find several variations of the "S1.20" version in the process (and I think also some more N-SPC games that don't have a text signature, but I don't remember which ones).

I'll look into Legend, I know Carlo Perconti did the audio in that game but I'm not sure what the sound driver is like.

Two more I've added to my list based on info from GDRI (will be put on github later):

Jorudan (Tenpei Sato?)
Alien vs. Predator
Gambling Hourouki
Hisshou 777 Fighter (and II and III)
Imperium / Kidou Soukou Dion
Magna Braban: Henreki no Yuusha
Pachinko Maruhi Hisshouhou
Pachinko Ren-chan Tengoku: Super CR Special
Sanspo Fishing: Keiryuu Ou
Shinseiki Odysselya

Graphic Research
Derby Jockey: Kishu Ou e no Michi
Derby Jockey 2
Mickey no Tokyo Disneyland Daibouken
Oraga Land Shusai: Best Farmer Shuukakusai
Pachinko Tetsujin: Nanaban Shoubu
Shinseiki Odysselya II
Tamagotch Town
Zaitaku Touhyou System

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:46 pm 

Ok, I looked into the Cube games you mentioned and now I basically have three different drivers that can potentially be associated with Cube.

First one: (lots of Sufami Turbo games for some reason)
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Sailor Stars - Fuwafuwa Panic 2
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon SuperS - Fuwafuwa Panic
Chou Aniki - Bakuretsu Rantou Hen
Crayon Shin-chan - Nagagutsu Dobon!!
Der Langrisser
Dragon Quest I & II
Gegege no Kitarou - Youkai Donjara
Joushou Mahjong Tenpai
Kaizou Chounin Shubibinman Zero
Monstania
Poi Poi Ninja World
Ring ni Kakero
SD Gundam Generation - Axis Senki
SD Gundam Generation - Babylonia Kenkoku Senki
SD Gundam Generation - Colony Kakutouki
SD Gundam Generation - Gryps Senki
SD Gundam Generation - Ichinen Sensouki
SD Gundam Generation - Zanscare Senki
Sengoku no Hasha - Tenkafubu e no Michi
Shin Nihon Pro Wrestling Kounin - '94 Battlefield in Tokyo Dome
Sufami Turbo BIOS
Super Wrestle Angels

Second one:
46 Okunen Monogatari - Harukanaru Eden e / E.V.O. - Search for Eden
America Oudan Ultra Quiz
Bazoe! Mahou Sekai
Habu Meijin no Omoshiro Shougi
Hakunetsu Pro Yakyuu '93 - Ganba League
Kakinoki Shougi
Kousoku Shikou Shougi Ou
Monster Maker III - Hikari no Majutsushi
Power of the Hired
Sgt. Saunders' Combat!
Super Black Bass
Super Hanafuda
Wizap! - Ankoku no Ou
Ys IV - Mask of the Sun

Third one:
Getsumen no Anubis
Heiwa Pachinko World 2
Heiwa Pachinko World 3
Kishin Douji Zenki - Battle Raiden
Light Fantasy II
Majuu Ou
Pikiinya!
Super Hanafuda 2
Super Yakyuudou

Likely (older?) variant of third:
Feda - The Emblem of Justice
Houkago in Beppin Jogakuin
Monster Maker Kids - Ousama ni Naritai

Do any of these seem more likely to be (or not be) associated with Cube over some other company?

Aside from all the Sufami Turbo games, I recognize multiple games by NCS/Masaya under the first one, and Koji Yoshimura appears to have been involved in both NCS and non-NCS games on that list (in Super Wrestle Angels he's credited as "sound operator", for example). I only listed it as Cube originally because GDRI had that down for both Chou Aniki and Crayon Shin-Chan.

I ought to know what the sound credits for Shubibinman Zero are since I was working on an English translation (currently on hold), but I've forgotten pretty much everyone named there (and whether or not Cube was mentioned at all).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:36 am 

Here we are: https://youtu.be/bGA6nTWBTOg?t=848

The music staff are listed as being from Two Five.

The most likely one you're looking for is the Operator/Sound Effect credit. Sanae Kasahara is credited there.

Those three that you listed on the bottom? Two of them I know for certain credit Cube.

Hey, I just thought of something! I looked here... http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php ... Archive_01

The sound driver for Crayon Shin-chan Nagagutsu Dobon!! is credited to Shibuya Dougen. MobyGames credits this person for doing sound programming in Der Langrisser and the sound driver for Chou Aniki - Bakuretsu Rantou Hen. That means you have more than just Cube for this particular sound driver: you have a specific person.

According to FEDA - Emblem of Justice (found via MobyGames), the programmer of the sound driver that streams its music data is Hiroo Tengenji, AKA Masumi Takimoto. That's another one.

That means all of the games you listed officially use sound drivers coming from Cube. I originally had my doubts, but the sound driver credits knock this one out of the park.

Unknown_1 is either Masahiro Kusunoki, Kazuya Nakatani (this one's unlikely, and it's just the programming methodology for the sound driver), or Akihiko Mori (or it could have come from Copya System). Hokuto no Ken 7 credits Masahiro Kusunoki for Sound Programming (thanks MobyGames). For whatever reason, Hokuto no Ken 5 credits Kazuya Nakatani for Sound Programming. Akihiko Mori is credited under Sound Programming for Acrobat Mission, is the Music Player for Super Air Diver/Lock On (as Morimori Rock'n Band),

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:56 pm 

Interesting, thanks! So, would it be fair to list them as (in this order?):

"Cube/Dougen Shibuya"
"Cube" (for lack of a specific name, unless I just missed it in your post
"Cube/Masumi Takimoto" (versions 1 and 2)

I considered renaming Unknown 1 to just "Copya System" for the time being, since it seems like that's where it was originally used, unless/until we're able to find out who the specific author of it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:53 pm 

https://github.com/TCRF/vgmid

I added the latest version of the signatures, now in a proper repository this time, along with the modified version of SIDId I've been using. Pull requests welcome from anyone who might want to (I'll continue to update the signatures myself, of course). Ideally it'll gain signatures for more systems later, but I'm only really personally focused on the SNES.