SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

* This subforum is simply for the uploading of files that relate to SPCs in any way. Missing title screens, applications related to the format (timers, taggers, etc.), and similar things. Do not upload SPCs here.

* Do not upload anything that is not SPC-related, or it will be deleted. We are not handling MP3s, PSFs, USFs, GSFs, or any other format at this time.

* As always, do not upload anything violating American copyright laws. We do not wish to deal with the backlash.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:15 am 

Cowering (of GoodTools fame) got in touch with me as he is working on some of his GoodSPC and GoodPSID lists to let me know of several instances of duplicate spc data in different tracks within the same .RSN as well as other noted problems (missing brackets, extra spaces, misnames, etc). While some of these may be acceptable and noted already, there are a few that look like genuine oversights. In any case, I'll list what I was given here for whomever will want to claim responsibility for changing the sets.. YK?

If you have further questions regarding this and cowering doesn't decide to join up here, use the email cowering (AT) gmail.com

Duplicates (same SPC data crc) in same RSN:
-------------------------------------------
BS Gekkan Coin Toss Deck [gek]
gek-b04.spc-[Unused Jingle 3] == gek-b08.spc-[Unused Jingle 7]

Bubsy 2 [bbs2]
bbs2-20c.spc-[Music 4-3] == bbs2-20d.spc-[Music 4-4]

Pitfall - The Mayan Adventure [pfma]
pfma-08.spc-[Jungle Rhythm 4] == pfma-11.spc-[Jungle Rhythm 7]

Solid Runner [solid]
solid-18a.spc-[EL's Cafe (Full Mix)] == solid-18b.spc-[EL's Cafe (part 1)]

Super Mario All-Stars [smas]
smas-114.spc-[Time Up Warning] == smas-336.spc-[Super Mario Bros. 3 - Time Up Warning]
smas-113.spc-[Invincible] == smas-335.spc-[Super Mario Bros. 3 - Invincible]
smas-105.spc-[Underworld] == smas-314.spc-[Super Mario Bros. 3 - Underworld]

Super Street Fighter 2 [ssf2]
ssf2-s02.spc-[(Japanese) - Capcom Logo] == ssf2u-01.spc-[(American) - Capcom Logo]

Wrecking Crew '98 [wc98]
wc98-b05.spc-[Wrecking Crew 98 - Unused Sound 2] == wc98=s15.spc-[Wrecking Crew - Unused Sound 2]

Title/Filename Issues:
---------------------
Contra 3 [cntr3]
.spc names are not all lowercase, as traditionally done (Cntr3, cntr3)

Final Fantasy 6 [ff6]
ff6-216.spc
Title is "??" - Official OST lists this as "What?".

Hook [hook]
.spc names are not all lowercase, as traditionally done (Hook, hook)

Hong Kong 97 [hk97]
hk97.spc
To keep structure, filename perhaps should be "hk97-01.spc".

Jelly Boy [jboy]
jboy-33.spc
Title has an extra "(" as shown in "Here's Bossy! ((Sky World)".

Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu '94 [pow94]
pow94-12.spc
Title has unknown character between the y and ] at the end.

Magical Quest 3, The [mq3]
mq3-29.spc-[Yay! It's The Fairy!]
mq3-30.spc-[Oh No! It's Pete!]
Multiple spaces in title.

Makeruna Makendou 2 [mama2]
mama2-21.spc
Title is "???" - should probably be 'unknown jingle' or something similar.

Ogre Battle [ogre]
ogre-17.spc-[Autumn Sky Womanheart]

Trinea [trin]
trin-01.spc-[Yanomonu ~ Yanomon Logo]

Sonic Wings [sw]
sw-b-01 .spc
Filename has a space(s) before the extention.

Super Black Bass 2 (Bassin's Black Bass) [sbb2]
sbb2-04.spc-[Menu Registration]

TKO Super Championship Boxing [tko]
tko-b-01 .spc
Filename has a space(s) before the extention.

Misc
----
Project a88 (U.N. Squadron) [a88].rsn contains a full copy of a88.rsn inside it.
Project ngt has a misspell in the info.txt showing "Ninja Gaiden Triology" rather than "Ninja Gaiden Trilogy"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:19 am 

Following the scent trail... Oh hello!

I did a bunch of collecting to get as close to completing the GoodSet as I could, and am always impressed with the amount of attention he gives to his work. What makes it even better is that he shares the information with who it matters to. I noticed just thing on that list, the a88.rsn. But I didn't come here to say that, because I suck at delivering info, because too many times I've been met with NO reply... Oh well, there would no reason to continue with some things if no recognition of it occurs. </sad> I was looking for the right person to mention this to in an IRC channel mentioned on this forum, but that was a no-go. Last resort, topic hijack!

Datschge, nensondubois, YK, whoever... the 'Unknown Jingle' in Super Mario RPG is the minecart horn. ...That is all. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:35 am 

I hope someone from SNESMUSIC is actually reading these. I ignored a lot of 'errors' in XID6/ID666 fields when I was updating GoodSPC, but I would like to know which 'errors' are real and which are just artifacts. For example, in doom-03.spc, an ID666 field has 'Williams screen; $0d$00 E1M2 - Nuclear'. If any player used this and not the XID6, the E1M2 would get cut off by the null byte. This field is correct in the XID6 version, but i would have thought that the tagging program would have duplicated exactly all the info it could into the ID666 area before truncating, not subbing the $00.

Next 'error' : in bbg-05.spc, the XID6 header says it should be $5c bytes long, but it is only $58. Is this and error with the tagging program? I only bring it up in case some needed field got truncated.

And now one that MIGHT mess up some SPC players: looking at jop-02a.spc.. XID6 header says it is $8c long, but if decode that far, you end up on a field# $6f (right after the valid $35 field). In the far future, this might be a valid field #, but for now, it seems like it should be removed. (jop*.spc has quite a few of this type of error)

Just trying to help....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

I'll work on cleaning these up over time. Most aren't difficult fixes. Though I'm a bit surprised at that Bubsy 2 one. KFF is usually pretty careful to avoid duplications.

As for the Solid Runner one, they're technically duplicate files, yes, but the timers are different. I decided it'd be best to break that song down into its three individual parts, as well as keep one that plays the entire thing and loops.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:22 pm 

Yay, someone else IS reading this :) I had mentioned to Tafoid the 'fix' for the 'dupes' would be to just alter one byte in the 64K code section that is not otherwise used. This would alter the CRC32/SHA1 and let GoodSPC see them as different. I don't CRC the whole file to avoid 1000 versions of the same SMW songs (well 500 at least), but I do CRC enough of the header and data to detect most dupes. If you (YK) want a listing of all the 'errors' in current snesmusic torrent set, I can pastebin em somewhere. A lot are going to be matters of opinion, but I'd like to know which are goofy and which are just me reading the specs wrong for ID666/XID6.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:04 pm 

Cowering wrote:
I hope someone from SNESMUSIC is actually reading these. I ignored a lot of 'errors' in XID6/ID666 fields when I was updating GoodSPC, but I would like to know which 'errors' are real and which are just artifacts. For example, in doom-03.spc, an ID666 field has 'Williams screen; $0d$00 E1M2 - Nuclear'. If any player used this and not the XID6, the E1M2 would get cut off by the null byte. This field is correct in the XID6 version, but i would have thought that the tagging program would have duplicated exactly all the info it could into the ID666 area before truncating, not subbing the $00.

Next 'error' : in bbg-05.spc, the XID6 header says it should be $5c bytes long, but it is only $58. Is this and error with the tagging program? I only bring it up in case some needed field got truncated.

And now one that MIGHT mess up some SPC players: looking at jop-02a.spc.. XID6 header says it is $8c long, but if decode that far, you end up on a field# $6f (right after the valid $35 field). In the far future, this might be a valid field #, but for now, it seems like it should be removed. (jop*.spc has quite a few of this type of error)

Just trying to help....

The legendary Cowering of GoodTools Fame!

I dumped Doom; it's what got me here (at least it got me in the at-the-time exclusive Yahoo!Groups community that preceded the forum.). You might've noticed I went way out of my way with the comments, probably because they actually included proper line breaks instead of awkward spacing, to try and emulate the multiple lines I went for, to illustrate the multiple purposes of the few songs that had more than one use... (I actually typed the comments up in Notepad and CopyPasted the contents in SNESAmp's ID666 editor).

What player do you use? I myself am an SNESAmp dude, hoping the thing gets updated with proper SNSF support, SPC2 support and SFM support... Forgive me for being behind, but it was the first player that played the things at the PROPER pitch, not to mention not having to be stuck on the 32KHz sample rate (Fixed rates... are for FM chips! :P). Or I'd know of this XID6 thing (Alpha-II oughtta add that too!).

Anyway, welcome to SNESMusic.org, and check out my other work! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:21 pm 

JFD62780 wrote:
Cowering wrote:

Just trying to help....

The legendary Cowering of GoodTools Fame!

I dumped Doom; it's what got me here (at least it got me in the at-the-time exclusive Yahoo!Groups community that preceded the forum.). You might've noticed I went way out of my way with the comments, probably because they actually included proper line breaks instead of awkward spacing, to try and emulate the multiple lines I went for, to illustrate the multiple purposes of the few songs that had more than one use... (I actually typed the comments up in Notepad and CopyPasted the contents in SNESAmp's ID666 editor).

What player do you use? I myself am an SNESAmp dude, hoping the thing gets updated with proper SNSF support, SPC2 support and SFM support... Forgive me for being behind, but it was the first player that played the things at the PROPER pitch, not to mention not having to be stuck on the 32KHz sample rate (Fixed rates... are for FM chips! :P). Or I'd know of this XID6 thing (Alpha-II oughtta add that too!).

Anyway, welcome to SNESMusic.org, and check out my other work! ;)

The XID6 is the 'extended' ID666 info at the end of a lot of SPC files. just view doom-03 in hex and goto the bottom to see it. It is the $00 in the ID666 area that gets me.. it should prevent your 'E1M2 Nuclear' from printing in a player. I only use GoodSPC to list headers. Sadly I have no time to enjoy any of this music, I only load it into databases and file sifters to get a handle on what's what in the data.