SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:29 pm 

How did you find this board?

I got here because YK mentioned it in #x, an IRC channel for Jul, which is another board.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:49 am 

someone posted on hcs64 forums about it, saying he saw it mentioned in the wiki on the main site.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:09 pm 

I can't quite recall... if you're talking about the forums, that's SPCDumpers Yahoo group.

If you're talking about the website itself, the best I can think of is randomly stumbling on to here. Once I found out it was taking contributions, I started dumping SPC sets. The earliest one I can recall is 3 Ninjas Kick Back and Nickalodeon GUTS, and even back then I made sure those tunes were dumped at the first note, though composer info wasn't as good (I didn't know about ROM text). Believe it or not, most of the composer info I missed was due to missing staff rolls, and that still happens today.

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:57 pm 

About a week prior to it's mentioning in the Yahoo group when it all started on IRC when me and YK were chatting about the idea of a new forum for SNESmusic.org whereas it got to the point where I convinced him it would be beneficial to the community and, ladida, we have a forum. :D It all happened on a whim, so really, no one else *did* know about the formulating idea at that point except Terra and the other people who where on the Channel at the time.

I first heard about the site sometime in 08, when I submitted my first SPC set, which I believe was (not entirely sure so I'd have to check the dates) the Super Game Boy 2 set and I felt that some other obscure games could use a soundtrack SPC dump, and things evolved from thereon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:49 am 

Hello! I got here because of someone with a strange avatar (^_^) posted a link at byuu's

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Well. Uh, considering I made the board, well, you know... :P

As for how I ended up a part of the SNESMusic team... wow... it was like... back in 2002 or so that I first found the site, then just a small collection of more mainstream soundtracks. But I was impressed by the fact that every set had proper timing, tagging, and sorting, which was a stark contrast to the haphazard mess at Zophar's... It was around that time that Dragon Quest 5 was fan-translated, and I dumped SPCs as I went through it, since that set wasn't on the site... and I submitted it. In retrospect, not the best set to start with, as it required Datschge and CaitSith2 to hack it, and even then, it wouldn't be for many more years that it actually got fully fixed...

After that, I noticed the site also lacked SPC sets for BOF2, Brandish, Brainlord, Ys 3, and Ultima: Runes of Virtue 2, all of which I was familiar with, so I dumped and submitted those, as well. Not long afterwards, Datschge invited me to join a relatively new Yahoo group he started, and I began dumping sets one after another, as well as handling lots of other things (such as timing sets submitted by others, and doing site cleanups and such).

In... around 2004 or 5, the site switched to the format it uses now, and I was given admin access. I don't do much in the way of SPC dumping anymore, with the odd exception here and there; I mostly just update the site now, although it tends to take me a while due to having a lot else to do, as well. The occasional 25-set submission via e-mail does not help matters, however awesome it looks when I finally *update*. :lol:

All right, that was rambly. But hey, the girl asked a question and I answered! :P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:53 pm 

I found this forum because YK is one of my closest IRC friends, and I submitted a few things to SNESMusic.org.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:14 pm 

tukuyomi wrote:
someone with a strange avatar

Only on this forum. No avatar at all on that forum.

I found this forum the same way.

I may have a few files to upload later. Fixes for an existing set, although I didn't use music switching codes to produce them, I used good timing with the dumping option in ZSNES ages ago. It might be better to find music switching codes to totally eliminate the possibility of missing notes, however.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:51 pm 

YK inquired on IRC about setting up a forum, so I offered to host it under one of my domains, so here we are.

YK and I go back a long way and have kind of a checkered history, but I'm back for good now I think.