SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:12 am 

Hello everybody,

It has been a long time dream for me, as a composer, to be able to compose using the sounds of my youth. I am finally putting my hands on how to rip sample for games i love in order to use them for my own recreational creation.

Up until now, i used some Windows players that allow me to extract up to 8 channels of SPC files into .WAV file. Then in Cubase i find a single note, and extract it, to then import it in Native Instruments Kontakt. It works fine for plain sound, but sometimes the channel how sounds with effects (live reverb of delay) or are played in too short notes, which makes it impossible to cut and export certain sounds.

Reading from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1160
it seems like i may be able to extract single sounds, effects free, in order to make what i want out of the SNES sounds. However, i have this problem, i cannot seem to be able to open BRRTOOLS. I come from OSX, but installed Windows 10. Unfortunately, the .exe doesn't seem to open. I read all kinds of things on extra stuff to install in order to have it working, but no luck...

I also tried in OSX with Cross Over to open up the .exe files from BRRTOOLS using Windows 98/XP/7/8 Bottles to get it to work. No success...

A little help would be appreciated! :-)
Or perhaps, there is an easier way to extract single samples from SPC files ?

Thank you for the help ! :-)
Cheers,
Ghost.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:09 am 

BRRTools? I just recently compiled that on OS X (although it was in 10.6.8)! Here's what you need to do for OS X compiling:

In the makefile, change...
Code:
CC=i686-w64-mingw32-gcc.exe

...to...
Code:
CC=gcc

...then go to the command line, cd to the src directory, and then execute make. You should get three compiled binaries: brr_decoder, brr_encoder and spc_decoder.

I will note that I also had XCode installed on my computer. Better check and make sure gcc exists on your OS X computer...

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:19 am 

Hello KungFuFurby,

Thanks for the quick reply. Wow, ok this is a lot of information for me here. I'm pretty newbie to compiling... I'll do some research and see if I can manage to do this myself. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:17 am 

KungFuFurby wrote:
BRRTools? I just recently compiled that on OS X (although it was in 10.6.8)! Here's what you need to do for OS X compiling:

In the makefile, change...
Code:
CC=i686-w64-mingw32-gcc.exe

...to...
Code:
CC=gcc

...then go to the command line, cd to the src directory, and then execute make. You should get three compiled binaries: brr_decoder, brr_encoder and spc_decoder.

I will note that I also had XCode installed on my computer. Better check and make sure gcc exists on your OS X computer...

Hello KungFuFurby,

So i got to the CC=gcc code part. But i'm lost at where you mention "command line", etc... Are you reffering to the Terminal in OSX ?
I downloaded XCode and inserted the BRRTools github link to get the files on my computer. But i see no mention of any file named gcc, cd... Please note that i have no knowledge of programming whatsoever. All i need is a tool to be able to extract audio sample from SPC files. BRRTOOLS seems to be the answer. But not sure how to compile this for OSX...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:45 pm 

OK... that's better context for me, actually.

First, make sure you edited the makefile before attempting this.

First, start Terminal on Mac OS X. Then, in the window that opens, type...
Code:
cd

Put a space after it, and drag the src folder into the Terminal window, then hit Return on your keyboard.

Then type...
Code:
make

...press Return, and three files should show up in the brrtools folder (if it doesn't output an error. If it does, copy the error shown, paste it here, and I'll try and figure out what happened). These are the executables that were created.

You want to use spc_decoder, which extracts samples straight out of a SPC file. Drag spc_decoder to the Terminal (the path to the program will show up in the Terminal), then hit Enter. If the program works (for a start), then you should get something along the lines of this...
Code:
*** BRR Tools 3.0 ***

SPC decoder (c) 2013 Bregalad special thanks to Kode54
Usage : spc_decoder [options] infile.spc outfile
Options :
-n number of times to loop through the sample(s) when applicable, default 1
-f first sample # to decode (default : 0)
-l last sample # to decode (default : same as first)
-s output samplerate, default 32000
-m minimum output length in seconds (applies only to looped samples)
-g simulate SNES' gaussian lowpass filtering

Example : spc_decoder -f3 -l12 -s22050 -m0.8 music.spc music_sample

You execute it by dragging spc_decoder, typing in the options (and for some of the options, typing in the parameters, which in the case of first and last, allows you to extract as many samples as you want from a .spc file... but beware! Some IDs will come out invalid!), dragging a .spc file of your choice, then typing in the desired filename of the sample collection. These filenames will initially show up in the src folder. If you want to export them somewhere else other than the src folder, type...
Code:
cd

Put a space after it, drag the desired folder you want to put your new .wav files in, then hit Return on your keyboard, then repeat the process above for executing the program.

If you start a new Terminal session (either by restarting the application or opening a new window), the .wav files will by default show up in your home directory (represented by a house icon on your computer).

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:07 am 

Hi,

Thank you for the help, much appreciated. So, i'm starting to get this. However, i am stuck here in the terminal:

I keep getting a permission denied error. I tried to type the sudo command, and then my admin password, but nothing happens after that. Please find attached two screenshots. One of my folder content, and the other of the Terminal.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:30 pm 

Hmm...

The first line should say...
Code:
cd /Users/aleksi/Documents/BRRTools/src

The second line (after the first line successfully executes) should say...
Code:
make

On another note, spc_decoder.c is not the compiled executable: it's just source code. Understandable, though, given that the compilation didn't quite work... There should be no extension on the executable (to my knowledge, anyways).

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:40 am 

Hello,

I got it thanks ! I actually missed, like you mentioned the part where i had to drag the folder after cd... sorry !

So, i'm almost there. I'm just having trouble now to export wav files. Perhaps i'm typing something wrong, though i followed the example given from BRR Tools.
Any idea ?

Thank you for your patience... :-)

Code:
Last login: Fri Mar  2 09:34:53 on ttys000
Tower:~ aleksi$ /Users/aleksi/Documents/BRRTools/spc_decoder

*** BRR Tools 3.0 ***

SPC decoder (c) 2013 Bregalad special thanks to Kode54
Usage : spc_decoder [options] infile.spc outfile
Options :
-n number of times to loop through the sample(s) when applicable, default 1
-f first sample # to decode (default : 0)
-l last sample # to decode (default : same as first)
-s output samplerate, default 32000
-m minimum output length in seconds (applies only to looped samples)
-g simulate SNES' gaussian lowpass filtering

Example : spc_decoder -f3 -l12 -s22050 -m0.8 music.spc music_sample
Tower:~ aleksi$ -f1 -l25 -s32000 -m0.8 /Users/aleksi/Documents/BRRTools/01-Fear\ of\ the\ Heavens.spc
-bash: -f1: command not found
Tower:~ aleksi$ spc_decoder -f1 -l25 -s32000 -m0.8 /Users/aleksi/Documents/BRRTools/01-Fear\ of\ the\ Heavens.spc
-bash: spc_decoder: command not found
Tower:~ aleksi$

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:40 am 

Code:
/Users/aleksi/Documents/BRRTools/spc_decoder -f1 -l25 -s32000 -m0.8 /Users/aleksi/Documents/BRRTools/01-Fear\ of\ the\ Heavens.spc

should output several .wav files.

Or you can do this first...

Code:
cd /Users/aleksi/Documents/BRRTools/

...then this (it should do the trick)...

Code:
./spc_decoder -f1 -l25 -s32000 -m0.8 /Users/aleksi/Documents/BRRTools/01-Fear\ of\ the\ Heavens.spc

...and you should get some .wav files.

I just recognized what game you're using... it's Secret of Mana. I have a recommendation for you. Try this...

Code:
/Users/aleksi/Documents/BRRTools/spc_decoder -f32 -l57 -s32000 -m0.8 /Users/aleksi/Documents/BRRTools/01-Fear\ of\ the\ Heavens.spc

The musical samples actually start at 32, not zero or 1. I cite actually ripping a few samples myself as an experiment. It's just for this game, though: you may have different results with others.

SPC Set Progress Log