SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:45 am 
Site Admin

This actually has exactly *nothing* to do with SPCs or even music, but I was wondering if someone good with hacking could take a look at the SNES Tactics Ogre and see if it'd be possible to whip up character modifier and battlefield modifier codes. I've wanted to do some exploring of that game's assets, and I figure that would be the easiest way to do so. Ideally I'd prefer to do this with the PSX version, but as the SNES version is functionally identical, and would be much easier (presumably) to find this stuff for, and much easier for me to actually explore... that's the one I'll go with. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:54 pm 

A quick attempt for the campaign, this might not work in the tutorial (this is for the v1.0 / rev0 ROM, haven't tested it with the others)

7E16BExx - map set
7E16C0yy - map number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Well, that code *does* work, but some of the maps look really glitched out. I wondered if it might be an emulator issue, but I checked out some of them without the code, and they look normal... or maybe I'm just not using the code right. :P I'll experiment.

Edit: I seem to have figured out how the code works.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

Well, after figuring out how the code worked, I went over every valid value, and... it seems some maps are missing. Mostly small ones from cutscenes. Nothing major, but I'm curious now where they might be stored.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:50 pm 

As far as I can tell, the smaller cutscene maps are actually part of the "main" ones - I noticed when testing the codes a bit at the very beginning of the game, the small house (or whatever) on the first map always changed to something else (or was just garbage) whenever I selected a new map. I'll have to look into an easy way to access those (along with a possible character modifier) a bit later.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hm. For me, the game would always crash if I left the map modifier on when viewing a cutscene that took place in a small house or something. I'd almost wondered if those were pre-rendered backgrounds instead of actual maps, since they look *completely* different from the "battle" maps. But there were a couple battle-style maps I still couldn't find with the modifier... unless they're well beyond what I checked, which is *possible*, but everything beyond "BE17/C000" crashed the game, so I dunno.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Well, it actually turns out I don't need the character modifier, as I found codes for that elsewhere. However, one thing I *would* like is a code that modifies the items sold at shops. This sounds like a weird request, until you realize that hacking in items in Tactics Ogre is a colossal pain. The inventory is a mess that isn't fully understood, it seems, and hacking items directly onto characters doesn't add them to the inventory, so if you unequip the item, it simply vanishes. Ergo, a shop modifier might do the trick...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Another off-topic post, but... I like ripping item icons from games, for use in various places. I've probably mentioned that before. I just finished playing through Ys 5, and... only 13 of the 15 slots for key items ever get filled.

The first half of the game is spent finding crystals. You receive four of them, but of the other two, one gets stolen from you before you can pick it up, and the other is already in the hands of the villain. Still, there are two slots seemingly for these crystals, and... well, since you never *get* them, they don't appear on the menu.

My usual methods of extracting such graphics have failed (I've found no item GG/PAR codes, vSNES is of no help, since Ys 5 doesn't load all the item graphics while on the menu, and I couldn't find them in YY-CHR, so they're probably compressed), so I figured I'd turn here for some help from KFF or Revenant, who've assisted me with odd jobs like this in the past. A code to simply enable all the icons, even if just decorative, since I just need their graphics, would be most helpful.

Edit: Never mind. Hacking dealt with by a friend of mine.