SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:13 pm 

Hello, I don't know if this is really the right place to post this topic here but anyway corrections would be nice.

I make music using FL Studio and sound fonts. I am interested in chiptune music because they're classic and always wanted to hear more songs using instruments from my favorite Super Nintendo games. The problem is how do I get the sounds to use them for making music? Not all the sounds I wanted. I like the sounds that played in certain games from Ocean like Dennis, Flintstones and Mr Nutz. The strange thing is since I have been familiar with Super Nintendo music that changes over from the music box type of sounds that played in Super Mario World and the incredible sounds that played during the Helicopter mission from Pilotwings and Earthbound title screen. The games from Ocean that I mentioned above (not including the Addams Family games from the same company which were older and don't have those type of sounds like in Dennis, Flintstones, and Mr Nutz that came out during the mid 90's) They played these unique sounds I never heard in other Super Nintendo games. Not even the Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Kirby games had these type of sounds used in music.

I copy and paste the links of the videos that played music from these certain games that Ocean released. Not the entire sound track of these games had played the same instruments but certain music from the 3 Ocean games of the mid 90's played unique instruments in the videos I posted here. Please let me know what you think and tell me how can I get the sounds for making original music would be very nice. I don't care if it had to be an certain type of FM synthisis program to recreate these sounds or maybe sound fonts, maybe a software that could capture and convert the sounds from music to playable instruments? I like the ones playing in the videos with the lead that plays in title screens of Dennis and Flintstones, the similar lead also played in the title screen of Mr Nutz but I don't want to put it up here since the title song for Mr Nutz don't play that much of the lead so one of the songs that played on level 2 called Adventure Park played the lead which is my favorite piece of Super Nintendo classic instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6SdQclCRo0&feature=share&list=FLmqndmbYYbpbVVwTtVxHszw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4ySreCtg3s&feature=share&list=FLmqndmbYYbpbVVwTtVxHszw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O9lk35c0RA&feature=share&list=FLmqndmbYYbpbVVwTtVxHszw

Just one more question. Why do they sound different then the other Nintendo games not from Ocean? I am guessing the cartridges might have their own sound chip that others don't have or something? Please let me know. Information would be very nice to hear from this forum since this was the very first time I am a member and wanted to found out how to make my own original Super Nintendo music.

This will be the topic only for Snes instruments of my favorite ones from certain games that I played. There are other special instruments from video games I would like to have such as Pilotwings and Fire Emblem but I will ask for them later. For now I just want to see if it's possible to recreate or capture the digital instruments from certain Super Nintendo games and use them as sound font or at least playable in some way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 pm 

Ocean's games uses the SPC700 like the others. It just simply uses different samples, which are loaded to the SPC700. The samples are stored in BRR format, which also means custom samples never used in a SNES game can be used, provided it is converted over to BRR first. The samples come from various sources, and Ocean probably had their own sources.

These games have a program specially created for the SPC700 that is loaded upon starting up, so exact instrument data depends on what sound driver you're looking at... which means you'd have to take a look inside the SPC file to figure out where the instrument data is. It's not always a simple ADSR (Attack, Sustain, Decay, Release) envelope...

There is an application made in Java called BRRTools that allows you to extract BRR samples from a .spc file and convert them to .wav. It also provides a starting loop point (although you'll have to multiply them by 16, otherwise they probably won't loop properly). Ending loop points are always the end of the sample.

I myself create SNES music, but not only do I use a different approach (not to mention I usually don't use the samples from actual SNES games), but I actually create real .spc files in the process once I've made them. It requires a tracker that produces either .it, .xm, .s3m, or .mod files (I most commonly see them produced either with .it files or .xm files: I myself use .it files).

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:10 pm 

Thank you very much for the information! But there is something else I need to know more about. Is there a way to convert a spc or wav file into a sound font file like SF2? I use FL Studio to not only create my own original songs but I like to experiment the instruments by changing the sounds from midi songs. FL Studio uses SF2 files for playing sound fonts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:12 pm 

The WAV files produced using BRRTools are importable into a soundfont editor that can create a soundfont. Sadly, being on the wrong platform (I'm running an iMac G5 running Mac OS X 10.4.11), I am not very experienced with soundfont production, although I can rip sounds from soundfonts.

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 pm 

Sounds cool! I can't wait to get something for checking a SPC file. I haven't figured it out yet but when I get a chance to look at the channels of the SPC I'll see what I can do with it. I haven't got BRRtools yet but I am getting there. In the meantime I added you as a friend. It was very nice to meet you.

Not only that I like the sounds Ocean uses for their games but I like the sounds that played in Sega Genesis music but not like Super Nintendo. Sega uses a Yamaha chip for producing old sounds for Sega music which was quite impressive. However I thought Yamaha did MUCH BETTER music on the Sega Genesis console but I guess Super
Nintendo had it's own share of great music too.

Anyway thank you very much for the information! I hope it helps. I am using Windows 7 on my PC not a Mac. I never used a Mac since I had my very first PC back in 98.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:18 am 

What about Snes emulators like Znes? I used to play Snes games with this emulator and I found this feature that turns off parts of music could that have something to do with the channels? I was trying to figure out a way how to get a sound and record it as wav and hopefully if that works for certain sound font programs. I found a Japanese SPC player and there is 8 different buttons you could turn on and off. I am not really sure if this is right because when I turned off all the numbers except for the first one. I get other sounds that played and not playing a certain sound. It just quits playing different instruments but a few other instruments played while one instrument was on.

If converting a wav file to SF2 is possible I would be very glad to try it that way instead of trying to look for the SPC-700 program you mentioned from your first reply. I can't find it on Google. :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:06 pm 

Pardon me, I forgot to provide a link to BRRTools: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/681/

The problem with using a SPC player to rip the sound files are mainly the fact that you also capture the effects applied to it, usually echo. Plus, samples are sometimes not played all the way through at all in a song, meaning the complete sample cannot be ripped.

The emulators are exactly what you use to dump .spc files (and thus, how to extract samples). And I can invent music modifiers in the form of PAR codes that allow you to access more samples without having to play the entire game. Coincidentally, that's also how I make a SPC set: by dumping them with a SNES emulator (I use SNES9X 1.53 by default, although I have backtracked before when the game malfunctions). I use music modifiers to rip them out right at the start (although sometimes that's not possible because of the way the game is coded... but usually I can rat them out anyways without too much difficulty), then I play the game to identify them.

Here's what I think you could use to convert a .wav file to a soundfont file (note: you can put more than one .wav file in there): http://connect.creativelabs.com/develop ... Items.aspx

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:53 pm 

Ok thanks. I am not sure if it's just the sound or is the lead instrument used for vocal on the Flintstones sounds a little different compared to the similar one used in Dennis and Mr Nutz? Unless other instruments were playing along with the leading vocal instrument (the one I always wanted) was playing at the same time? I am not including the drums or bass but I am guessing that there could be two or three leading instruments playing with it like maybe an echo or another instrument used to make it sound a bit different but I think that leading vocal instrument or whatever you call it always sound like that since this sort of unique instrument that Ocean possibly created NEVER been used in common Super Nintendo games makes short echos each time the instrument. I wonder could it be possible to have this instrument as SF2 along with the echo in it? Unless if I need to record it to have the echo together but I don't think it's a good idea. I would like to have this special lead vocal with the echo effects if that's possible?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:29 pm 

Since I am new to this. I had the requirements it needed but when I installed the software how come I can't run it? All I see is two folders Bin and SPC. The folder that contains the two separate folders itself also includes an instruction manual readme file however I am still confused on how to run the BRRtools.

Help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:11 pm 

I'm not experienced with Fruity Loops, but I actually have GarageBand, and believe it or not, I actually think there is an echo effect that if tuned correctly, sounds likes the SNES's echo.

BRRTools is a command line application, which means it takes command line arguments. SPCDecoder.class is the file that will extract the samples from the SPC files.

The first argument it takes is always the .spc file. If you only want to define one extra argument, then the argument is the sample ID. Otherwise, if you want to define three or four arguments, it is the loop count per sample. The third argument is the sample ID. The fourth argument allows multiple samples to be outputted at once and it acts as the end ID. Sadly, not all SPC files start with a sample ID of zero, and you are guaranteed at least a few glitched samples in the process of ripping them.

SPC Set Progress Log