SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Nintendo 64 Soundtracks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:12 am 

Does anyone know if there is a website like this for Nintendo 64 or PlayStation soundtracks? The only real place that has them available is Youtube and hard to find blogs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:38 am 

rtomhet wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a website like this for Nintendo 64 or PlayStation soundtracks? The only real place that has them available is Youtube and hard to find blogs.

Nintendo 64 Music archive
PlayStation Music archive

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Holy hell. I just started browsing those sites, and decided to check if there as a PSF2, DSF, or SSF page. I had *absolutely* no idea there were so many of the latter two. I seriously thought the Ikaruga DSFs were the only DSF set in existence, and there were *no* SSF sets. Are there any other file formats I'm not aware of? (e.g. GameCube, XBox, etc.)

Edit: Also, were the DSF/SSF Winamp plugins ever updated? Many of the DSFs/SSFs I downloaded don't sound right...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:28 am 

Latest DSF plugin: http://foobar2000.xrea.jp/up/files/up1111.zip
Latest SSF plugin: http://foobar2000.xrea.jp/up/files/up1112.zip

(Disregard the foobar part, there are winamp/XMPlay plugins in the archives)

The emulation for both has been vastly improved compared to the older Winamp plugins, so yeah, do try them.

Also, take note that these archives are for both sequenced and streamed songs (both redbook and custom formats). You shouldn't have any problems with the MP3s, custom formats can be played with VGMStream: http://hcs64.com/files/vgmstream/

Full list of subsites is available here: http://hcs64.com/mboard/forumlong.php?showthread=26929

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

Seems the scene has advanced quite a bit since I abandoned it. Impressive.

I actually have some old program... I don't even remember where I got it. But it allows me to convert the streamed formats to WAV (then subsequently to MP3). But it's kind of a pain, since it only does one at a time, or requires me to write up a batch file, so I'll check out VGMStream.

Edit: Hah. VGMStream was what I *was* using. Is there an easy way to mass convert files with it, or do I absolutely *have* to write up batch files? Takes... a while.

Also, I wonder if it's safe for me to return to that scene (i.e. are Corlett and Zoopd gone?). I honestly kinda miss it and would like to go back to being a part of it if possible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:26 pm 

YK wrote:
Edit: Hah. VGMStream was what I *was* using. Is there an easy way to mass convert files with it, or do I absolutely *have* to write up batch files? Takes... a while.

Sure, there's both a Winamp/XMPlay and Foobar plugins based on VGMStream, all three players can mass convert to some extent (just don't ask me how to do so with Winamp, haven't used in in ages).

YK wrote:
Also, I wonder if it's safe for me to return to that scene (i.e. are Corlett and Zoopd gone?). I honestly kinda miss it and would like to go back to being a part of it if possible.

Corlett and Zoopd gone. Not much of a scene left though, feel free to browse hcs64 forums to see for yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Knurek wrote:
Sure, there's both a Winamp/XMPlay and Foobar plugins based on VGMStream, all three players can mass convert to some extent (just don't ask me how to do so with Winamp, haven't used in in ages).

Hm. Even though there's a plugin called "in_vgmstream.dll", I can't seem to open the streamed formats via Winamp. It's not even showing up with the other plugins on Winamp's preferences menu. No idea what I'm doing wrong.

Edit: Nevermind. Fixed it. I think.

Knurek wrote:
Corlett and Zoopd gone. Not much of a scene left though, feel free to browse hcs64 forums to see for yourself.

Good riddance. The latter banned me for "causing drama", even though *he* was the one who changed dramatically... but I digress. I've actually properly re-timed and re-tagged several *SF sets over the years. I'd like to share them if possible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:15 pm 

Thank you. This is very good. However, I have no idea how to convert those N64 and PlayStation files. I'm not very good at computers, and all the advice I've tried has led to frustrating dead ends.

Winamp (2.7) has allowed me to listen to the Super Nintendo files from this website, but it cannot convert these other files that are in the other website (they are miniusf files and XA files). I tried a 64 note plug in but it went nowhere.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:09 pm 

I tried using newer versions of Winamp, followed a tutorial too, and nothing came out of it. I tried XMPlay and got a series of error messages. At this point, I'd rather just buy a reliable product any of you know about that can convert the files to MP3 instead so I don't have to go through the frustrating act of downloading several files and trying to figure out how to use them and convert (which leads to more downloading).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:03 am 

Cancel. I got it to work with Foobar 2000. I downloaded that, the plugin, as well as the "Lame" file. I played with it for a while and managed to add the plugin to foobar. I tried to convert the files but it needed to lame file so I managed to get it to it and failed. It turned out I had to extract all the files to the soundtrack I was converting (Snowboard Kids 2) into a folder, and then it managed to convert them to mp3. I'm surprised I managed to figure that out.

Again, thanks for you advice, and a very special thanks to those who have supplied that database with N64 and other music. I'm involved in a movement to give more recognition and respect to the composers. I've always said that some of the best music comes from video games, and many of these talented composers need to be known for their work and have it out there for the new and old generations of gamers to always cherish.