SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:25 am 

New problem. Some of these soundtracks are coming out with every track distorted.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:25 am 

YK wrote:
Hm. Even though there's a plugin called "in_vgmstream.dll", I can't seem to open the streamed formats via Winamp. It's not even showing up with the other plugins on Winamp's preferences menu. No idea what I'm doing wrong.
Edit: Nevermind. Fixed it. I think.

Common error seems to be not adding the external dll package (as stated in VGMStream readme). Make sure you add them, plugin won't load without them.
Alternatively, if you can swallow foobar, kode54's build doesn't require any external dlls. It's available here: http://kode54.foobar2000.org/foo_input_ ... -component

YK wrote:
I've actually properly re-timed and re-tagged several *SF sets over the years. I'd like to share them if possible.

Sure, just upload them somewhere and post links here or PM me with them. Will add them to my mirrors post-haste.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:29 am 

I think I figured it out on my own. If I lower the quality of the conversion, the distorted soundtracks will come out sounding fine.

Edit: Some soundtracks will still come out odd on some tracks even if I rip it at low qualities.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:03 pm 

Also, I just realized that some soundtracks seem to sound slow (I compared many tracks to several versions from those those on Youtube). I ma not sure if the people who uploaded the songs on Youtube made them faster, or if these songs ripped from the actual game do sound this slow. It doesn't look like it's really worth it at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

Knurek wrote:
Common error seems to be not adding the external dll package (as stated in VGMStream readme). Make sure you add them, plugin won't load without them.

Yeah, I got them to work once I RTFM'd. That was indeed the problem. But is there a way to be able to alter the timers of the streamed formats, or are they just kinda stuck that way? Some are... definitely not timed properly (I don't think any game has 20 or so 20-30 minute songs!).

Knurek wrote:
Sure, just upload them somewhere and post links here or PM me with them. Will add them to my mirrors post-haste.

Will do. I'll need to clean up the filenames a little, since I alter them for my own personal usage, but it shall be done. I'll make a separate post here somewhere for them when I'm ready.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:16 pm 

YK wrote:
But is there a way to be able to alter the timers of the streamed formats, or are they just kinda stuck that way? Some are... definitely not timed properly (I don't think any game has 20 or so 20-30 minute songs!).

You can change the number of loops and fadeout, if a song plays for 20 minutes it means it was prepared this way by the developers - think of streamed formats like of MP3s, you can't really 'time' them. :)

Looking forward to your retag work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:31 pm 

Knurek wrote:
Latest DSF plugin: http://foobar2000.xrea.jp/up/files/up1111.zip (0.09) <--
Latest SSF plugin: http://foobar2000.xrea.jp/up/files/up1112.zip (1.21)

(Disregard the foobar part, there are winamp/XMPlay plugins in the archives)

No, Knu; not the latest DSF plugin: http://foobar2000.xrea.jp/up/files/up1173.zip (0.10) <--

;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:08 pm 

0.10 is buggy though, doesn't support Naomi DSF sets that use 8MB of RAM. :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

Sadly, the one DSF set I was truly interested in (Skies of Arcadia) doesn't sound quite right. Several songs seem to be missing instrument samples and such. Such a shame, as that game has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

Also, I had some issues with a couple "PSF2" zips. The ending theme from DQ8 US wouldn't extract, and neither would five tracks from Ar Tonelico 2.

Song Magic - First Class Death God Death (Kochan).adx
Song Magic - Wooden Clog Divination.adx
Song Magic - Icefall Dragon Flower.adx
The Sound of The Bell, The Voice of Prayer.adx
A Boy Caught in The Thick of Things.adx

I'm not sure if this was an error in downloading on my part, an error in uploading, or what. But I felt I should note it, just in case it *is* a problem with the files themselves.

Also, even with the latest VGMStream, I find myself unable to play the songs from the PS3 Atelier Rorona set, or the PSP Suikoden 1+2 set. Some of the formats that latter one uses aren't even *supported* by VGMStream. I couldn't even get "test.exe" to convert them to WAV. I assume these are a work in progress?

Finally, does the *SF scene still eviscerate anyone making requests? Because I was disappointed not to see rips of Shadow Hearts 2 and 3, and Suikoden 3 and 4. Some of my favorite soundtracks there. Sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:00 am 

YK wrote:
Sadly, the one DSF set I was truly interested in (Skies of Arcadia) doesn't sound quite right. Several songs seem to be missing instrument samples and such. Such a shame, as that game has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

It's possible that the DSF rip is bad, it's rather easy to miss one of the sound banks while ripping. OTOH it was ripped by Kingshriek, and he doesn't make mistakes like that... Can you give specific examples of what is wrong with it?

YK wrote:
Also, I had some issues with a couple "PSF2" zips. The ending theme from DQ8 US wouldn't extract, and neither would five tracks from Ar Tonelico 2.

I will reupload the sets later.

YK wrote:
Also, even with the latest VGMStream, I find myself unable to play the songs from the PS3 Atelier Rorona set, or the PSP Suikoden 1+2 set.

Uh-oh, ATRAC3...
Simplest solution would be to download the Atelier Ayesha set, which has music from all previous Gust games in PS2 ADPCM format supported just fine by VGMStream.
But if you're feeling adventurous, there are three ways to play the files, each one with some caveats.
1. Decode to WAV with HiMDRenderer, play the .POS files included for looping. Cons: Does only work for stereo ATRAC3+ files.
2. Decode to WAV with QuickBMS AT3toAA3 + Sony Sound Forge, play the .POS files included for looping. Cons: Requires either paid or cracked copy of commercial software.
3. Play with Foobar build of VGMStream plugin. Cons: Requires Foobar.

hcs has been busy with his PhD work lately, and as such Winamp builds of VGMStream isn't maintained anymore. Maybe someone will pick it up soon. Here's to that.

YK wrote:
Finally, does the *SF scene still eviscerate anyone making requests? Because I was disappointed not to see rips of Shadow Hearts 2 and 3, and Suikoden 3 and 4. Some of my favorite soundtracks there. Sigh.

Neither of these is an easy rip. Corlett tried doing Suikoden 3 way back in the aughts, said the game was coded by insane people. S4 seems to use the same setup, we've been able to do both S5 and Rhapsodia though, FWIW.
Shadow Hearts 2 and 3 both use newer version of Procyon Studio music driver, which sadly doesn't work with zoopd's patches for SH1. Don't expect to see those two ripped as well. :(
I wish someone would tackle Procyon Studio driver for NDS, loads of games with great music use it. :\