SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:40 am 
Site Admin

I'm trying something new here: A sort of "spotlight" on a certain set or sets I'd like to see released, or sets that need cleanup in a big way, as an encouragement by the community here to do these tasks. Once these get done, they'll be taken down as announcements, and another will be put up. In theory, anyhow. For now, I just wanna see how this goes.

Anyhow, I decided to see if I could get titles for the Might and Magic sets, so they could be released on the site. For the most part, it hasn't been especially difficult... most of the songs can just be heard in various shops and other things in the towns. However, the Japanese version of M&M2 is... well, different from every other version, and there's no info on GameFAQs. I've only been able to identify a handful of songs from that one, since it seems like it uses them completely differently... maybe a scene/location modifier would help me with that game. And the others, though I'm not sure how good they'd be...

Anyhow, here's what I have so far:
(And no, I'm not skipping numbers. This is how they're numbered in the unfinished sets elsewhere on the forums.)

Might and Magic 2 (European)
-000: Elite Logo
-001: Title Screen
-002: Auto Map
-009: Daytime
-012: Night
-014: Inn
-015: Dungeon
-026: ? (I thought the obvious usage would be the ending, but... nope.)
-028: Victory (*This* song is actually used for the ending)
-033: Game Over
-034: ? (Jingle)
-036: ? (Jingle)
-038: ? (Jingle)
-049: Blacksmith
-052: Battle
-054: ? (Jingle)
-055: ? (Jingle)
-056: Cleric
-057: Training Ground

No clue where those jingles would be used... though I didn't test thoroughly, none of the obvious usages (inn, obtain item, learn spell, etc.) seemed to produce *any* music.

Might and Magic 2 (Japanese)
-01: Title Screen
-02: Main Menu
-03: Town (there doesn't seem to be a day/night system in place in this game)
-04: Inn
-05: ?
-06: ?
-07: ?
-08: ?
-09: ?
-10: Dungeon
-11: ?
-12: Overworld
-13: ?
-14: Battle
-15: ?
-16: ?
-17: Victory
-18: Game Over
-19: ? (I'm assuming this is the ending theme)

Yeah, I didn't do so hot here. I suspect many of the tracks I haven't heard are used for different types of dungeons, such as castles and elemental plains, or for boss battles/the final battle, but I have no easy way of checking these. The fact that the game is in Japanese, and seems to have had many changes from every other version of this game, despite having the exact same maps, is not helping.

Might and Magic 3 - Done.
000: Title Screen
001: Game Over
006: Daytime
007: Bank
008: Blacksmith
009: Training Grounds
010: Temple
011: Tavern
012: Inn
013: Guild
020: Dungeon
021: Night
022: Arena
029: Ending
039: Battle

I cheated a bit here and used titles from the old Zophar's set, though it wouldn't be hard to double check them. Only two songs weren't in that set, and though I have ideas, I'm not sure where these are used yet.

Any help with any of these three games would be greatly appreciated. They've got some pretty good music (well, M&M2J and M&M3 do, at least :P ), and I'd love to get them released sometime soon...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:37 am 

Those numberings are raw numbers from my end: they're from SNES9X.

There is one addition for me, and it's for number 001 in Might and Magic 3. That's basically Game Over.

The only one that I have composer info for is the Japanese version. Both English versions are missing their composer info due to missing staff rolls (and I have no idea if the ROM text will help here).

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:52 am 

Mark the last unknown track for Might and Magic III as the ending track, I found a YouTube video for proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjvTfpg5haQ

The bad news? No staff roll, and thus the composer is missing because the credits are missing. Anyone got the instruction manual for a staff roll in there, maybe?

With all 15 tracks identified, although the ordering is going to be pretty messed up (if you want to keep it that way), I think that game can be the first that we can scratch off of the TODO list.

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:14 am 
Site Admin

Through the efforts of Revenant, KFF, and myself, this project is done.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]