SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

* This subforum is for the general discussion of video game soundtracks, and the uploading of emulated-game music formats, including, but not limited to SPC, SNSF, NSF, GBS, PSFs, USFs, GSFs, etc. as well as the respective format's mini*sf extension and files (*sflibs, etc.) required by the format are allowed to be posted here.

* Individual songs can be uploaded as-is, but full soundtracks should ideally be compressed either via .rar, .zip or .7z, or they will be subject to deletion. Subtune-based formats including, but not limited to NSF, GBS, SID, etc do not need to compressed due the nature of their small given size and direct portability.

* Do not upload anything that could be in violation of American copyright laws. Yes, they're silly, arcane, and draconian, but we'd really rather not have to deal with their over-zealous enforcers. This includes links to such files.

* No flaming, no direct attacks against other members, and no spamming. Such activity will not be tolerated. Users who fail to respect other member's rights will be warned, banned or any other action will be taken as required.

* The SNESMusic staff reserve the right to ban users, remove posted content not limited to illegal material, offensive content or any other content at their discretion.

Post subject: Re: NSF ripping thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:30 am 

How difficult is it to fix the NSFs? For example, track 4 in Aussie Rules Footy plays too fast, even in the PAL format.

I was interested in a rip for Replicart for the Disk System because I suspect the game uses Kemco's sound engine, but like I said, I try not to request anything since I have an idea how hard it can be to rip NSF files.

I would do VGM rips of some of these Disk System games, but the VGM format doesn't support addon chips for the NES.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:19 pm 

If you want me to fix some existing rips, post them here and I'll take a look.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:58 am 

So far, the only one I can think of is Aussie Rules Footy.

I also noticed Circus Caper/Moeru Oniisan was missing a few jingles (3 of them I think).Also, Exciting Billiard (FDS) is missing the Ending Theme, as well as one of the stage songs (though that's mostly an ambient track). If I can think of anymore I'll let you know. The only NSF I'm interested in at the moment is Replicart though.

I also wanted to ask something. Do all NES/FDS games contain a sound engine's frequency registers? I was looking at the Kemco games, and could only find the frequency registers for the newer version of the Kemco sound engine, but not the older one. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:30 am 

Posted the Replicart NSF. Hopefully it's good, a couple of the tunes sound kind of strange but they seemed that way ingame too. I'll try to post fixes for those others later.

By "frequency registers" do you mean the values that the game writes to the NES' frequency registers? Usually those are contained in lookup tables somewhere in the sound code (since calculating pitch/period values manually is slow), though the location depends on the code, naturally.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:30 am 

Thanks again! I really appreciate it. This doesn't look like the Kemco sound engine, but the instrument design looks familiar. Reminds me of Arc System Works. I like the music, though I'm into the obscure/unknown soundtracks. I played through the game but there weren't any credits. I did see a company named 'Klon' mentioned, but I know nothing about them. Maybe the MSX version has the same music and has credits.

Also, for frequency registers, they are the values in the ROM that control the pitch of the note. I've been wanting to learn NSF ripping, and I think it helps a little if I know about how some of the sound code looks like. In the Color Dreams games, I found addresses in the game's ROM to change the instrument. I heard the Color Dreams games are hard to rip since they are spaghetti-coded (the sound code is in different parts of the ROM). If you ever want to rip those, if it helps any, I have the source code to a few of those games. I did see that in the source code, the instruments and the songs are in different files. I do want to learn NSF ripping, though I barely know any assembly code for the NES, but I do know how they work a little bit since I make RAM hacking cheats. I just need to learn assembly programming and how the sound code works.

You don't have to do it anytime soon, but I also wanted a rip of Pool of Radiance with the sound effects. Gil-Galad said he'd get around to that, but he never did. I think that game uses the same sound engine as Dr. Chaos, though Gil said that was one of his first and easier rips. For future requests though, I won't request anything that I know is hard such as the RSP games. (Gil told me how tough those are to figure out.)

Once again, thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:54 am 

Hiya there! I noticed you ripping NSF files. I also tried to rip some of them, but no such luck. I have an ongoing project to fix the Gil Galad's NSF list (what I mean here is: edit the header, composer, and such), and I noticed one of them is not fully ripped. In Kabuki Quantum Fighter, there is one song what was not ripped in the NSF, and no SFX as well. I would be greatly appreciate if you can do this. :)

Attachments:
Jigoku Gokuraku Maru - Kabuki Quantum Fighter.nsf [17.75 KiB]
Downloaded 550 times

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:23 am 

Also, the 'Congratulationis' song from Big Challenge Go Go Bowling is missing from the rip. I'd be interested in a rip of Putt Putt Golf for the FDS since I think the two use the same sound engine. They were made by an unknown developer, so me and GDRI have been trying to figure it out. You don't have to do it now, and like I said, I'm trying not to request anything at all. I can't do a VGM rip of Putt Putt Golf though.

I also remembered, Nightshade is missing a song that was originally in the rip that plays too fast. It sounds like the normal Nightshade theme except it ends, so maybe the person who fixed it thought it was a clone of the Nightshade theme and got rid of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:27 pm 

Not sure how good / bad reviving an old thread like this, but since this is an NSF ripping thread I thought I post a rip that I made.

Attachments:
1y By Trilobit.nsf [16.13 KiB]
Downloaded 512 times

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:43 am 

Here are a couple more NSFs that I ripped so far.
Sadly, most of them are just different region NSFs (since... nobody did this before), and all of them are NON-Bankswitched NSFs. (Meaning that there are 00s from offsets 00070-00079.
Caesar Captain is a really crappy hack of James Bond Jr., and That Camelot thingy is a NES Demo, which was ripped via NES2NSF.

I'm dealing with Dynamite Bowl, but no luck. : (

Attachments:
Disney Adventures In The Magic Kingdom.nsf [508.13 KiB]
Downloaded 523 times
Disney's Chip 'N Dale - Rescue Rangers (PAL).nsf [12.05 KiB]
Downloaded 518 times
Disney's Darkwing Duck (PAL).nsf [16 KiB]
Downloaded 532 times
Gun.Smoke (PAL).nsf [11.75 KiB]
Downloaded 533 times
Isolated Warrior (PAL).nsf [8.02 KiB]
Downloaded 474 times
Return To Camelot By Castle Masters.nsf [16.13 KiB]
Downloaded 568 times
Gargoyle's Quest II - The Demon Darkness (PAL).nsf [16.13 KiB]
Downloaded 484 times
Caesar Captain.nsf [8.12 KiB]
Downloaded 484 times
Ikari Warriors (PAL).nsf [32.13 KiB]
Downloaded 477 times
Power Blade (PAL).nsf [24.08 KiB]
Downloaded 524 times
Mega Man III (PAL).nsf [19.68 KiB]
Downloaded 454 times
Bionic Commando (PAL).nsf [16.13 KiB]
Downloaded 524 times
File comment: *This is a bad rip!*
RodLand (PAL) (1993 - Jaleco Entertainment).nsf [20.08 KiB]
Downloaded 543 times
The Addams Family - Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (NTSC).nsf [80.13 KiB]
Downloaded 559 times
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (PAL).nsf [16.22 KiB]
Downloaded 475 times
Over Horizon (PAL).nsf [16 KiB]
Downloaded 543 times
Mega Man V (PAL).nsf [24.13 KiB]
Downloaded 518 times
Jimmy Connors Tennis (NTSC).nsf [48.38 KiB]
Downloaded 498 times
Mega Man (PAL).nsf [11.77 KiB]
Downloaded 499 times
Robin Hood - Prince Of Thieves (PAL) (1992 - Mindscape International Inc.).nsf [10.18 KiB]
Downloaded 529 times

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:34 am 

A few more.

Attachments:
Harry Potter - Harry Tour.nsf [32.13 KiB]
Downloaded 505 times
Mitsume Ga Tooru Rip #2.nsf [32.13 KiB]
Downloaded 506 times
Wit's.nsf [32.13 KiB]
Downloaded 472 times