SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

* This subforum is for the general discussion of video game soundtracks, and the uploading of emulated-game music formats, including, but not limited to SPC, SNSF, NSF, GBS, PSFs, USFs, GSFs, etc. as well as the respective format's mini*sf extension and files (*sflibs, etc.) required by the format are allowed to be posted here.

* Individual songs can be uploaded as-is, but full soundtracks should ideally be compressed either via .rar, .zip or .7z, or they will be subject to deletion. Subtune-based formats including, but not limited to NSF, GBS, SID, etc do not need to compressed due the nature of their small given size and direct portability.

* Do not upload anything that could be in violation of American copyright laws. Yes, they're silly, arcane, and draconian, but we'd really rather not have to deal with their over-zealous enforcers. This includes links to such files.

* No flaming, no direct attacks against other members, and no spamming. Such activity will not be tolerated. Users who fail to respect other member's rights will be warned, banned or any other action will be taken as required.

* The SNESMusic staff reserve the right to ban users, remove posted content not limited to illegal material, offensive content or any other content at their discretion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:21 pm 

I am interested in learning how to compose SNES music if it is possible on a computer. I'm a long time fan and listener of Super Nintendo music and I've always wanted to try and compose my own music but have no Idea how to even begin doing that with a computer..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:53 pm 

Allow me to show you SNESMod by mukunda...
http://snes.mukunda.com/

It converts Impulse Tracker files to .spc files... provided you follow the limitations.

First, you need a tracker. The tracker should produce .it files.
I use Schism Tracker: http://schismtracker.org/

Then you need some samples (any sample will do as long as it's not too large... a combined length of more than 100,000 is most likely too big for the SPC700 to handle. If it's too large, resize it. Note that loop points must be divisible by 16.)... then you produce the music.

Then produce some .it files and run them through the converter (the converter is a command line application). Then test them and see how they sound.

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:56 pm 

I got the Snesmod program as well as Schismtracker.

This is something new to me and it didn't make any sense and the help section didn't help. How do I get samples? And once I get them, how does composing work?

I tried Kontakt 5 with Secret of Evermore instruments but again, there is no help on how to actually compose and how that works. The farthest I got with that was being able to hear what the instruments sound like individually. I didn't think it would be this difficult. Thanks for your advice.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:56 pm 

Samples can come from pratically any source, as long as you can get them to fit within the memory limitations. Here's a place where I get samples: http://sampleswap.org/

I do shrink the samples down from within the tracker (while in the sample menu, accessed by pressing F3, Alt+E allows you to resize the sample to any length you enter in there). If the sample loops, anything past the end of the loop is discarded and does not count towards the limit in the SPC700 RAM.

Composing happens in the Pattern editor, accessed by pressing F2) (and you arrange them using the Order editor). For a start, you can simply enter notes. Impulse Tracker supports up to 64, but the SPC700 only supports 8 channels.

Just make sure you press F12 and make sure Control is set to Instruments, and Pitch Slides are set to Linerar. Mixing Volume must be set to 128 (otherwise you might experience a bit too much volume in the resulting .spc file). You can fool around with the Global Volume, though.

I don't have experience in extracting samples from Kontakt instruments... plus, I don't even have that program.

Before SNESMod came along (and before I could even port it over to my computer, which is an iMac G5 running Mac OS 10.4.11), I tried a couple of ways to get some psuedo-SPC audio, and they didn't always involve samples from real SNES games (even if they did, I usually went overboard with the combined length of each sample). Earlier on, I used Harmony Assistant and just simply kept track of the number of notes I had going at once... then Schism Tracker came along and I just simply made 8-channel songs.

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log