SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:25 am 

I've been thinking about the currently used naming scheme for the files inside the set, and it's kind of... well, gross, truth be told.

I mean, the 8+3 restriction was kind of senseless in 2000, and now, eleven years later it's just plain silly. I mean, it's not like anyone is still using DOS and proper filenames wouldn't really hurt anyone, it's not like there will be a difference for SNESAmp. And if someone's looking for that one song, it's much easier to locate it if it's named 101 Not Awaken.spc and not sd3-01.spc

Now, converting all of SNESMusic's sets will take some time and will need a bit of work, but I'm willing to do it, especially since VGMRebirth's demise means I can't really do anything else on the site.

I could provide you with a steady stream of updated sets this way, which could then be periodically added as those Unmentioned updates that have been popping up lately.

If anyone has any thoughts on the subject, please share it here and I hope that we'll be able to reach a consensus on how to do it properly. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:15 pm 

I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to use SPCRen to rename SPC files en masse and use a batch file or some other form of script to make new .rsn files out of them. Probably the more tedious part of the process would be actually adding all of the renamed/updated sets to the site (I think they'd have to all be added one at a time, though YK may want to correct me on that one :P)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 pm 

I realized that solid rsn files with the current spc filename system would have a smaller filesize than ones under Knurek's system. The spc filenames' short lengths and common string patterns (i.e. Super Mario World's spc's all beginning with "smw-") seem to affect the file compression in a good way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:47 am 

Actually no, the filenames are left as plaintext in RAR (RSN) archives - just open any in a hex editor to see for yourself. So while it's true that my archives would be larger, it would be by few hundred bytes per each one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

I support this idea, and I've heard many other people complain about the filenames in the past. The only issue is that it would affect site updates, since the current update process depends on those filenames to generate the tracklists. I'd *really*, ideally, like to redesign the site to make it easier to update, easier to navigate, etc, but unfortunately, I'm no good at web design, so I'd literally need someone else to do it. One format I've considered is sort of a "Wiki" deal. This would give us a *lot* more flexibility, and I'm sure there's a way to set it up so that only authorized users can edit (I don't think I'd want it to be edited by just anyone). It's a thought I've toyed with for a while, but it's never gotten off the ground.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:18 pm 

I prefer the short filenames... though having game names for RSN files rather than the same abbreviated formatting may seem consistent.

You know, I haven't gotten to programming myself a magic M3U maker or one that I can use to actually handle tagging without all of that rinse, lather, repeat. The M3U maker in particular would be the holy grail for me, since then I can finally get up and running. I'd probably program both in Python.

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:09 am 

I'm a little late to the party here (gogo computer failure), but I just want to say A MILLION TIMES YES, this is an excellent idea. It will be a pain from the perspective of updating the site.