SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Stupid spambots.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:08 am 
Site Admin

As many of you have probably noticed, this board has been hit with a wave of very stubborn spambots. I'll see what I can do about fixing it, but for now, I'm simply deleting all suspicious names. If you're a legit user that happened to get caught up in my spambot slaughter, register again and drop me a message letting me know you're, you know, *human*, and not some stupid bot trying fruitlessly to hock discount "medication" or something.

Post subject: Re: Stupid spambots.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:53 pm 

This is the best solution I found for phpbb spambots a few years ago: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/custom- ... mmer-tool/

I put in the question "The cow goes:" with moo and woof being the options (woof being the default selection). It seemed to deter most of the automated spambot registrants. I remember there only being the occasional manual spam post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

strugglepoo wrote:
This is the best solution I found for phpbb spambots a few years ago: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/custom- ... mmer-tool/

I put in the question "The cow goes:" with moo and woof being the options (woof being the default selection). It seemed to deter most of the automated spambot registrants. I remember there only being the occasional manual spam post.

All right, I set up one. Let's hope it *works*.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:14 am 
Site Admin

All right. Apparently, it didn't. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:51 am 

I had to delete a few spambots, so, here's a few ideas/links relevant to stop this madness. I didn't read much into these because I'm tired and am going to bed now.

1. Make it so when a registration is made, an e-mil confirmation is required, for them to type in the code given. I've seen it done on a few boards but I can't recall any of them now. More research is needed into this method, but this may be useful (didn't read all of it yet) http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=435694

2. http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=427852, http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?&t=26358

3. http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=435694

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:05 am 

I'm really getting tired of deleting these scumbags; hopefully we can find an effective method for ending their parade.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:06 am 

Actually I'm more machine than man.

[Edit: As for a serious contribution to the matter, it would take a bit of work but I was thinking maybe have the registration related to the content of the site? As in it prompts them stuff like "Who composed Psycho Dream?" or "How many sets are up that Soyo Oka is listed on?" or "What's the 5th track in the Ys III set?" when they are registering. Though this may be a bit of a hassle for people stumbling in and having to look it up (but it would maybe help them get familiar with the library as a little iniation? Haha), but there really aren't many of those if any, everyone signing up here are enthusiasts/involved with the site or were at some point as far as I can tell. And maybe the example questions aren't the best, however I am certain it would stop any bot unless some guy who makes them makes one specifically for this forum, which would be...anyways, that's my drop in the idea hat.]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I've yet to stop spambots, but it turns out that not only was the protection I had in place *backwards* (I've since deleted it until I figure it out), allowing spambots to register but not *humans*... but someone also banned gmail.com and aol.com/aim.com, so nobody with those EXTREMELY COMMON e-mail addresses could register either! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:32 pm 

Banning those popular e-mails was an extreme step, but I spent a good 20 minutes battling these spambots, so I was losing patience and I figured it would be the only viable way to stop them at the time. Only unusual suspicious e-mails will be banned from now or until these bots are permanently stopped.

There was a registered spambot named ololololhey, so at least we can laugh at that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 am 
Site Admin

nensondubois wrote:
There was a registered spambot named ololololhey, so at least we can laugh at that.

Yeah, except, that was me, testing the registration form after Ninetails reported it giving her errors.