SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:16 am 

Hey, just heard about this forum from other places I browse around in.

I'm not necessarily good at introductions, but I do work on this if it helps anyone;

http://bsx.superfamicom.org/

I like to look up things on the Satellaview. In fact, all my previous contributions to SNESmusic.org have been linked to Satellaview products. I'm currently holding on to some small hope that I can find various pieces of seemingly "lost" Soundlink music, but that is quite a herculean task.

Hoping I'm of use here.

Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:39 pm 

Hi and welcome, I've read some of your BSX blog in the past and I'm impressed! I'm very interested in the history of BSX myself.
Sadly, the authenticity of BSX software is unverifiable and so we likely won't see it in any emulator.

I noticed a few BSX soundtracks have not been ripped yet, though it would be interesting if someone would be able to tag them if rips were supplied.

I actually found an unused song in the BS version of Dragon Quest game that isn't even in the retail version.

What's more interesting is that Nintendo was working on a remake of Zelda 2 for the BSX as a tech demo, and I think the Zelda Theme for the SNES Burn-in Test cart may be the only remnant of that idea except the article written on unseen64.net

The article
http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/14/zeld ... ew-remake/

The SNES Burn-in Test Cart SPC soundtrack
http://snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?pro ... cted=20103

Attachments:
File comment: Unused song from BS Dragon Quest.
bsdq-b01.spc [64.55 KiB]
Downloaded 206 times

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:33 am 

I tried looking into that SNES Zelda 2 thing, but I've found nothing that suggests it'd have been a Satellaview project - all the material based on it that's been recovered so far (The single image and the test song) are from long before the Satellaview itself was a blip in Nintendo's radar.

Really, a good tip-off that the game was never a Satellaview project was how it doesn't fit the mold of the other BS Zeldas - particularly with the lack of the BS-X Avatar characters swapping for Link.

On the note of actual BS-X Projects that were canned, though, the 7-minute Satellaview ad makes a mention of a "BS Torneko no Daibouken" that, as far as I know otherwise, does not exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1uG0u1R4o

There are also a lot of other programs which aired but a scant few times and were never ROM dumped or otherwise archived.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:43 am 

There was another page (that conveniently I can't find) saying Zelda 2 was a BS-X tech demo but you know more than I do about the BS-X; I'm still learning from your research.

Well then I'm sure the Burn-in cart theme was from all that was leftover from the original non-BS-X SNES tech demo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:52 am 

From my memory of it; The first mention of "SNES Zelda 2" was a single magazine-scannd shot that started spreading around. There was some rumors that it may have been intended to follow up on "BS Zelda", but that was basically shot down when the source of the scan was identified - IIRC a circa 1989 Famitsu. The Zelda 2 screenshot was a tech demo for the main system itself.

There were some thoughts then that maybe it never got further than a few graphics on the screen, but the Burn-in Test Cartridge seems to lead to the idea that maybe there's quite an amount of resources for it hidden somewhere, if not something that's viewable/playable...

There's also a few pictures of BS Zelda Map 1 going around that appear to be from prototype stages - quite an amount of graphical differences. A few of them are up on the BS Zelda homepage, if you ever take the time to look at that.