SNESMusic.org Forums

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: y0
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:50 am 

I'm kulor, I make chiptunes and I love me some SNES. I don't rip music, but if there was a way to make SNES music I'd be all over it.
Well, a way that wasn't XM2SPC, anyway.

Post subject: Re: y0
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:37 am 

luvs teh kulor!

also hello. it is about flipping time snesmusic.org had its own forums, much more practical than the psf rippers yahoo group or the wiki! I'm really glad to see this up. i've done a little bit of SPC ripping and tagging in the past (more than I'm credited for though haha), these days i've been tagging 2SF sets and whatnot on and off over at hcs64. my main interest and passion is writing music like mr. kulor. one way or another i'm involved with emulated game music formats though, and like to do what i can do help out. :)

ta!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:16 pm 

I do know how to make SNES music. There's a program by mukunda called SNESMod... it converts IT files to SPC files. I can't quite run it on my end since it's Windows only, but I did have a few sessions with mukunda, and helped with debugging (this occured after Skipp and Friends, though, so I don't know if that's still with mukunda).

mukunda also did XMSNES, and that handled XM instead of IT files. It's discontinued and "maybe broken" according to the current offical website.

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:19 pm 

I've seen quite a few ROM hackers make custom music for Super Mario World. It may be a bit more limited than what's to your liking, but it might be something of interest anyhow.

http://smwcentral.net

Most of the Addmusic-related tools are used, injected into a Super Mario World ROM, and then made into an SPC rip from there. Of course, it was designed mostly for Super Mario World hacks, but perhaps it'll be helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:52 pm 

KungFuFurby wrote:
I do know how to make SNES music. There's a program by mukunda called SNESMod... it converts IT files to SPC files. I can't quite run it on my end since it's Windows only, but I did have a few sessions with mukunda, and helped with debugging (this occured after Skipp and Friends, though, so I don't know if that's still with mukunda).

mukunda also did XMSNES, and that handled XM instead of IT files. It's discontinued and "maybe broken" according to the current offical website.

With that program I was able to make a sample .spc of the Vanilla Lake Theme from beta Super Mario Kart ported by Kulor using ModPlug, which can also convert mods and other formats to .IT, then converted using SNESMOD. All 8 channels can be muted and this is a testament of how well the program was built.

The second file is a demo showing that samples (used a .wav) can be played as an SPC. This is the Famicom Disk System Jungle remixed by me, then converted.

Last but not least, this is a conversion of a .midi!

Attachments:
File comment: I didn't feel like tagging this one either. :p
Super Mario Sunshine Sand Bird.spc [77.5 KiB]
Downloaded 191 times
Famicom Disk System Bootup (VRC7).spc [64.5 KiB]
Downloaded 209 times
File comment: Sample for KungFuFurby. Enjoy
SMKVanillaBeta.xm.it.AutoSave.20101009.174809.spc [77.5 KiB]
Downloaded 235 times

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:38 pm 

Hmm... none of those SPCs fit the 64 KB size limit. Except for Famicom Disk System Bootup (VRC7).

I wonder how this one converts? I have the wrong platform to test this.

http://www.box.net/shared/9vvdyhyz4t

Want a music modifier for a particular SNES game? All you need to do is ask via PM (or you can check out the Music Modifiers topic and post there) and I'll be on the job. ^_^

SPC Set Progress Log

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:02 pm 

Pretty Good! :) but the size is once again a problem. I'm going to test some settings.

Edit: There is nothing that can be done about the size. Sorry.

Attachments:
SNESKFFEpicTheme.compat.spc [77.5 KiB]
Downloaded 165 times

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:51 pm 

I can cut it down using HexEdit, so here's the result with doing that. The song data itself fits within the 64 KB... and I used the echo since I figured I had room to spare.

Speaking of which, your tunes suffer the same problem as mine did (and they actually fit within 64 KB! Must be an error in the converter, then.). Here's your tunes with that extra chunk of zeroes removed.

Attachments:
Super Mario Sunshine Sand Bird DB.spc [64.5 KiB]
Downloaded 185 times
SMKVanillaBeta.spc [64.5 KiB]
Downloaded 392 times
SNESKFFEpicTheme.spc [64.5 KiB]
Downloaded 237 times

SPC Set Progress Log
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:00 pm 

It works, it works then. I uploaded a better quality version of Fatabatarang for further testing purposes and I know how to make better quality sound samples, heh.

Some more tests and stuff. I added comments to some of the songs. I didn't bother to remove the extra padding.

Attachments:
Final Test (ehco).spc [64.65 KiB]
Downloaded 194 times
Donkey Kong Land Mountains (Recession Remix).2compat.spc [64.63 KiB]
Downloaded 196 times
output.spc [77.5 KiB]
Downloaded 194 times
yst-01.spc [64.5 KiB]
Downloaded 178 times
Fatabatarang!.spc [64.5 KiB]
Downloaded 167 times

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:08 pm 

You know, SNESMod can technically be used to fit in more than one tune. All you have to do is in a SNES game, send the play command with a non-zero value in the X register, and it'll play starting at that order... and maybe stop the module as well.

I actually ported over three tunes from the Genesis game Brave Battle Saga... or Barver Battle Saga. They are the battle theme, the boss theme, and the victory theme. I also made a fourth one that combines the two, as well as with my own addition, all in one pack. Of course converting the whole thing only allows the first tune to play, but I can make seperate IT files that plays the tunes seperate.

SPC Set Progress Log